Thread: Primal and eye health page

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member

Primal and eye health

Hello all

I was wondering if there are any resources whereby following the primal lifestyle (i.e. nutrition) will help with eye problems such as glaucoma and sight problems?

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    You might enjoy this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51128.html

As well as this one: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32866.html

I know my husband had uveitus, which is often caused by gut inflammation and auto-immune dissorder. It causes many people to go blind. He, and many others, have stopped their uveitus by cutting out the grains and eating low-carb. Here's a facebook page set up by someone who saved his vision through a Primal Diet: https://www.facebook.com/UveitisDietResearch.

I don't know much about glaucoma, but it appears a Primal Diet helps with many ocular problems. Maybe someone else will see this thread and know more!

imp
    Hmm interesting threads...thanks a lot will tale a look!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    You really can't get more of a fastball down the middle for me here

I am an ophthalmologist specializing in retinal surgery for diabetics....so I may have a few things that will help you.

Uvietis: A catch all term for inflammation of any of 3 areas of the eye. Getting this once in your life is no big deal, but I always become very concerned if a patient experiences this over and over....the reason is that there is a VERY high correlation with certain autoimmune disorders, mostly RA, JRA, and lupus....I am not a believer that diet alone will reverse these once they onset, but it often DOES prevent onset and is very helpful for reducing symptoms, sometimes markedly. If you are getting a uvieitis, iritis (inflammation of the iris), or especially posterior uvietis on a regular basis, there is almost always a systemic underlying issue we need to explore. Going blind is extremely rare from it though, and is usually caused by the posterior form (itself very rare) that is very hard to detect.

Glaucoma: Sorry, but I do not believe the most common form of this has anything to do with diet. POAG, or Primary Open Angle Glaucoma, is by far the most common, and appears to be a mixture of anatomy, genetics, and neurology. It is caused by idiopathic, prolonged high eye pressure, which has no correlation to blood pressure. With this said, it is also the most treatable form, usually with eye drops or relatively non-invasive surgery.

Other forms of glaucoma are more inflammatory, such as pigmentary glaucoma. These also tend to run in families, but I believe nutrition likely has a role.

Anything specifically you are experiencing?
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    My own experience . . . (I am 70) No change in prescription during 5 years on Primal. No sign of diabetic retinopathy despite blood sugar in "pre-diabetic" range. (Ok, I have not been strict about carbs. Starting to do so now.) Reduction in floaters.

My conventional optometrist said carbs DO affect eyesight. That definitely is true for me. I'm not really interested in what cw optometry says, any more that I am interested in what cw MDs and nutritionists say. I was surprised that my optometrist said what he did.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

imp
    Thanks for your reply!

The problem is I'm not sure if I have open angle or inflammatory lol.

Ive had glaucoma since I was 20? Isn't that a rare age to have it? With eye drops I'm getting 10-14 pressure on each eye. I did have hydrocephalus when I was young not sure if that may have caused it?

Also I was reading your thread on how heavy prescription glasses is not ideal rather use a light one that could still get me throughout the day?

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Carbs affect eyesight if you have blood sugar problems, however it usually has to be pretty severe (BG over 300) before this starts to come into play. The increased glucose will begin to change the osmotic gradient of the lens in your eye, causing refractive change (A different lens RX).

Also, prolonged high carbs or PUFA intake will damage the vessels in your retina, just as they damage throughout the body. In the extreme, this causes pericyte death of the vessel walls, leading to hemorrhaging of the vessels. This is "diabetic retinopathy", and it is time dependent....in other words, risk of a 10 year NIDDM is greater than a 5 year, and so on. At 20 years there is over 90% incidence of retinopathy.

@imp
    At age 20 it is rare to have POAG. More likely is that you have pigmentary, narrow angles by anatomical variation, or inflammatory such as GCC glaucoma. A pressure of 10-14 though is very good...also, there is technically a BIG difference between "ocular hypertension" and glaucoma. The first means that your pressure is too high for the doctor to be comfortable with you walking around like that, so as prophylaxis TO glaucoma you get drops...glaucoma itself means there is documented nerve damage or visual field loss. I would be very pressing to your doc about which it is.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

imp
    I have documented nerve damage but I suspect that it was due to hydrocephalus when I was small...one doctor said that my pressure is causing that now...and the other doctor said it may be just the damage caused by hydrocephalus when I was young...I have no idea what to believe lol...do you think I should try taking off eye drops and see if it'll raise my pressure? I just recently converted to primal life so if it is indeed inflammatory I'm sure it'll help?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

raonxwxo is offline Junior Member
    If you are getting a uvieitis, iritis , or especially posterior uvietis on a regular basis, there is almost always a systemic underlying issue we need to explore. Going blind is extremely rare from it though, and is usually caused by the posterior form that is very hard to detect.
    You must take care of your eyes.
    Last edited by raonxwxo; 09-09-2013 at 11:56 AM.

imp
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    People noticed that my eyes are red sometimes...and I was thinking its due to eye drops...but could it be due to inflammation? My blood tests are generally normal and I think I'm healthy...so I don't suspect its something major going on