Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?? page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

Where to start??

Shop Now
    I want to try to do the whole primal/paleo diet thing but I wouldn't know how to start the day.
    I know it's the idea to start the day with protein and fat but I really can't see myself cooking in the morning and eating bacon.... besides that because of my heart illness my salt intake is limited...

can somebody give me some ideas on a breakfast that is as quickly fixed as a slice of bread and a lunch that doesn't include too much lettuce...it would be very welcome...

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Make a frittata (crustless quiche) the night before and eat it cold or room temp for a few days. Have an apple and cheese. Yogurt with berries. Leftovers. A homemade energy bar. A smoothie with almond butter in it.

I invariably have some kind of monster omelet for lunch, or leftovers.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Perhaps leftovers from the night before will help you. I've had great success eating the same kinds of foods for breakfast that I'd have for dinner. Sometimes I'm not very hungry for breakfast and will have a half a banana with a spoon full of almond butter or else 3 egg yolks blended in a cup of hot coffee. Sometimes I'm even less hungry and will just have black coffee.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Chrissy is offline Junior Member
    I have a hard boiled egg every morning and coffee. The eggs are already made and it's quick to eat.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Eggs every morning here. Have it done and eaten before my tea is ready.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    What about the fact that my cardiologist claims that eggs give you a high blood pressure? I can't imagine eating so much eggs because for 10 years he has told me that I can't eat more than 3 a week.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Then eat bacon
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    What about the fact that my cardiologist claims that eggs give you a high blood pressure? I can't imagine eating so much eggs because for 10 years he has told me that I can't eat more than 3 a week.
    The advice on this is changing, more eggs per week are "allowed". However I never trusted this advice anyway, and it comes from the same sources that recommend margarine over butter, and grains over meat. I tried it for 20 years and it DOES NOT WORK.

In my experience eggs do NOT give me high blood pressure, rather the reverse. Since I began eating at least two a day my blood pressure has come down into normal range. (I made other changes too, but evidently the eggs are not hurting me. They are now my favourite food because they make me feel great).

tekshow is offline Junior Member
    Gotta flip your thinking a bit, I highly recommend reading The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. He's part anecdotal and then backs it up with an introduction to the science behind it. There's reasons why we all think fat= make you fat and it has far little to do with the substance and much more to do with the government and media. The best breakdown for me that was easy to grasp was that your body wants to burn fat, but can't do so when it's overloaded with grains, carbs and sugars. Get that stuff out of the way and you'll be able to tap your bodies natural fat incinerator.

Try it for a month, and see what you feel like, but make sure it's an honest go of it.

If you need help meal planning there's a lot of cheap and good books with 30 day meal plans. Even if you don't abide by them completely they can provide a good example. I think there's even some starter diets on this very site?

Also check out:

NomNom Paleo
    Practical Paleo
    Paleo Solution

All of those have 30 day meal plans. I prefer practical the best, it has pictures for everything and the recipes are easy on the palette.

For me I like eggs in the morning too, with maybe half an avocado, and I might fry some spinach in butter along the way. If I'm inanreal hurry its a hard boiled egg and two tablespoons of butter in my coffee. (the bulletproof method)

The thing is, find what you like and run with it, no two people are exactly the same and the cool thing about eating paleo/primal is there's tons of variety. In fact, you might find you eat a more diverse selection of food than ever before if you make the switch.
    Living the dream - One life at a time!

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Have you read The Primal Blueprint yet? That's a good place to start
    The Start Here button on the mda blog is also a great place to start.

Robb Wolf's book is also good.

Breakfast for me is usually a six egg omelette (which takes around 3 minutes to make), a frittata (sweet potato, cauliflower, other veg in egg), nuts yoghurt and berries, failing that whatever's in the fridge leftover from dinner
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast