Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Dog Training HELP! page 8

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If he wont eat the pumpkin, I wouldent worry about it, you could try adding a small amount in with his food though to see if he will eat it that way.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    At this point, honestly, the pumpkin might just be one more thing that he's not used to and it might not have the desired effect. Sounds like you're just going to have to ride it out. If he's just getting used to his surroundings and new food it shouldn't last too much longer. The blood worries me but your vet can advise you there. Poor guy.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Yeah the vet said to bring in a stool sample. I'm pretty sure it's just food, I shouldn't have switched it so fast, I didn't realize it would be so bad. He's taking the longest nap ever right now, I know it's because he was so stressed this morning I don't wanna force him in the crate again.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah changing food quickly while stressed, eeek!, will have to ride it out now. I still say if you can get the probiotic paste off your vet it could really help. That is the first line of defense from my vet, pumpkin never works for my girls and one won't touch it. Glad you are getting a stool test. Confine or not is up to you, the ability to go in and out would be nice for the dog. Can you put the crate in the bathroom where the floor is easily cleaned?
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    You could check with your vet to see if it is okay to give him some immodium AD. Not good in the long term, but my vet had me give it to my dog when he had issues.

You could also try switching him to boiled chicken and white rice for a week or so until things settle down. Then add his food back in a bit at a time. Most dogs really love the boiled chicken and rice so it's much easier to get them to eat that

I am sure your progress feels slow to you, but you guys are making great strides!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I second the boiled chicken with rice suggestion also. Or sweet potato instead if rice. Kibble is very hard on the system.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    I wanted raw but it's ridiculously expensive. And yeah he's already eating something else so I hope he adjusts to it soon. I just wish he would eat the pumpkin! Do you guys suggest just leaving him in the room tomorrow as opposed to his crate? Which I need to finish cleaning...anyways, I went on my interview and was gone for an hour and he was right where I left him, just lying down on my floor. I nearly had a panic attack on the way home lol.
    A couple of tablespoons of natural yoghurt, or even better kefir works wonders for the squits with my puppies.

Raw should work out expensive. Can you get chicken necks? They're great for pups, you can boil them with some chopoed carrot and/or apple until cooked and mash them up for really small pups, or just give them the necks whole. Necks are fine cooked (just let them cool down) or raw (I freeze all chicken for at least 48 hrs to kill nasties like campylobacta(sp) and lamb for at least a week to kill hydatid cysts.

You can use chicken necks and frames as a basis of their diet and round it out with some liver, kidneys, heart etc. And if you can get it green tripe is a great as it still has some of the predigested grass and stomach enzymes from the ruminant animal, stinks something awful though

Throw in a bone bigger than its head for pleasure chewing and dental hygiene every couple of days and you're golden.

When I used to feed my monsters kibble etc. They would get the shits every time we have them a new brand. With raw, it doesn't matter what they eat. They do get stinky had when they eat pork though

Meat to bone ratio had an effect on whether they have soft moist stools or dry and crumbly. The higher the meat ratio the softer the stool.
    Last edited by Misabi; 09-11-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I have often made a ground chicken, white rice, sweet potato mixture for my new fosters along with FULL FAT plain yogurt (just a spoonful each meal). There really isn't great evidence that the yogurt does anything since the gut destroys the beneficial bacteria but they love it. Too bad he doesn't eat the pumpkin.

Switching foods can be nasty on the system for dogs. What brand are you using? Make sure it is quality.

Best Dog Foods

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I'm using Taste of the Wild grain-free puppy food.

I gave him some yogurt and his diarrhea is gone! I didn't leave him in the crate today, I left him in my room with the door open and bought a little gate to put at the end of the hallway. He was totally fine when I got home and didn't have any accidents. He even played in the yard with the other dog today! All of a sudden he's doing great, I don't know if it's because his diarrhea is over or what. I put one of his little beds in the kitchen and he actually will sleep there while I eat or do stuff on the computer. We took a nap together earlier too. Only bad thing is he seems to be getting even MORE skittish while on walks. He hunkers down in the middle of it and I have to pick him up and pull him to get going again. Once he gets going he doesn't pull or anything.

I got him some rawhide. People are saying that's too dangerous for his stomach? I read into it and I guess it's a small risk. Are pig ears/feet or antlers a better options? He likes the ears.

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Great news!

If you're going to give him rawhide, get him the natural rawhide. It's brown and almost shiny. The other stuff is bleached and dissolves faster so they end up eating more of it. TotW is a good food choice. I'm glad to hear he's doing better.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast