Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Training HELP! page 7

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    I took him on a long walk today--most people have been saying not to walk him much, but he seems to really like them even though he's scared. But he pooped and peed on the walk!
    Walking is a reward, its' stress relief, all those other pee smells will encourage him to pee.

So I made sure he knew I was really happy about that and tried to give him treats, but he won't eat when he's scared. Now I have him in the crate since I need to crate him for work tomorrow and he hasn't been in it much yet. He doesn't seem to mind.
    Crates are not punishment. They can be very soothing for some dogs. Make it his bed at all times, taking the door off when you're home and he doesn't need to be confined.

I leave for work at 6:30--trying to decide if I should just walk him and give him Rescue Remedy and stick him in the crate, or let my roommate who leaves at 9 do it so he's in there for less time. I'm thinking just get him used to being in there for awhile? I'll be gone 'til about 12:30, come home and then leave again at 1:00 for an interview. I don't think he'll pee in there.
    Not only should you walk him, but you should allow an extra hour to dedicate to walking him. Yes, even that early. The walk did him good today, it will do him good in the morning...allow him to empty his bowels on his own time, and tire him out so he can nap in the crate. If he pees before you leave he'll be fine in the crate for 6 hours. No don't ask the roomie for help. This is your dog and your commitment and your goal to build trust with him. Again, if he's not making a stink about it, he's fine in his crate. He's probably looking forward to some peace and quiet and time to familiarize himself with the new sounds and smells of his environment.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I took him for a walk this morning, now he's in his crate with the lure of treats and I gave him some Rescue Remedy. My mom bought me a bottle and also got me a can of plain pumpkin for him, she brought it by before I even read the responses about it on here! I'm just afraid he'll miss me, I'm sure he can hold it. He slept through the night and didn't pee. He's getting much better already! He doesn't really like the pumpkin though so it's a little hard to get him to eat it.

I left some light background noise on for him. Not sure if that's good or bad. It's the audiobooks for Harry Potter lol. And the fan is on. It's finally cooling off in Phoenix, but I have him in my room with the door shut and it gets hot. I only have it shut so the other dog that's not in a crate doesn't come bug him while he's stuck in there. I'm trying to make my room and his crate his personal space.

GuitarGrok is offline Member
    I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but with my dog routine was a huge help. When she was about 1 year old I started feeding her twice a day instead of making food available all the time. I would let her eat, then outside right away, for dinner same thing, and then outside before bed. Plus I make her lay on her blanket while we get her food together (raw food) and once the bowl is down we make her wait until we say OK. I know that you are not at a stage to be doing this yet, but it could be something to work towards.

Also as far as crates go, my dog loves her crate!!! When it is about 9:30-10:00 at night she goes in there expecting it to be bed time, and if I am staying up a bit later than usual she will come out, look at me and bark once, then go back in lol. Her crate is her safe, quiet place. I have seen in my in-laws dog that leaving music, or any other audio on can make it hard for a dog to relax when you are gone. My in-laws dog was very high strung, and they always left a radio on when they would leave the house. My wife, and I dog sat for them, and kept the radio off, and she was a much more relaxed dog within a couple of days!!!

I got home from work and Obie had diarrhea all over his crate. I took him on a walk and he still had diarrhea with a tiny bit of blood. He won't eat pumpkin. I guess Rescue Remedy can make diarrhea worse, I wonder if that's it? What do I do? I have a job interview in a few minutes and I guess just leave him in my room? And what about work tomorrow? I'm kind of freaking out, do I need a dog sitter?

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Did he have a food change to cause the diarrhea? I have found that the dog probiotics that you can buy in the syringe is the best. I can buy it in our local store, but I don't think you can get it everywhere. I first got it from my vet. If he hasn't had a vet check and he is new to you, I would take him to the vet, you don't want your other dogs infected with anything he could bring in. A stool and blood test could be very worthwhile. He isn't going to come around if he is ill.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Any ideas on how to get him to eat pumpkin?

And it's probably the food change and stress. I emailed the vet to ask about it all, so we'll see what he/she says.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Stress + food changes = Pbbbbbthhhhhhhhhh- pthhhhh

Yeah. What was he eating befor and what do you have him on now? Raw is best if you can do it but probably not the best time to change if hes still quite stressed. Although if youve already changed, swithing back might just make it worse.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Stress + food changes = Pbbbbbthhhhhhhhhh- pthhhhh

Yeah. What was he eating befor and what do you have him on now? Raw is best if you can do it but probably not the best time to change if hes still quite stressed. Although if youve already changed, swithing back might just make it worse.
    I wanted raw but it's ridiculously expensive. And yeah he's already eating something else so I hope he adjusts to it soon. I just wish he would eat the pumpkin! Do you guys suggest just leaving him in the room tomorrow as opposed to his crate? Which I need to finish cleaning...anyways, I went on my interview and was gone for an hour and he was right where I left him, just lying down on my floor. I nearly had a panic attack on the way home lol.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    If its safe to do so (ie nothing he can hurt himself on, eat etc) then I dont see a problem leaving the crate door open so he can go where he feels more secure. I would try to get it properly cleaned out ASAP though so that he has the security to go to if needed.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast