Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Training HELP! page 6

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Where are you in Phoenix? I'm in south Tempe and I've got a 4-month-old Aussie who's super social. The best way to socialize a frightened dog is to bring him around older, CALMER, well-socialized dogs, but it sounds like the dogs in your house are young and excited and are overwhelming your dog. Do the other dogs walk well on a leash? Dogs take cues from other dogs while walking... if you could walk your dog-- even briefly-- with one of the other dogs, just a calm little walk around the block or down the street, that would be a good start.

DinoHunter, we were posting at the same time. Great minds think alike.

ETA: And don't worry so much about leaving him in his crate while you're gone. I know EXACTLY how you feel but there's nothing to be done for it-- you have to work. Obie will be SO much safer in his crate than left in your room. It'll be fine, I promise. You'll get through this.
    Last edited by Cosima; 09-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I just want to get him to pee outside. He continues to do it inside. I've taken him out three times today and he just won't pee outside. I can wait and wait but it doesn't happen, I think he's too scared.

I think he is, too. Is he on a leash when you're taking him out to go pee? And you said the previous owners never had him on a leash before, right? So he's trying to deal with too much new input. Sensory overload. I'd get a really cheap nylon leash from a drug store or Albertson's (they have cheap leashes for some reason, at least mine does) and cut it down to like three or four feet long and leave it attached to his collar all the time when he's out of his crate and when he's in your line of sight. Let him get used to having something attached to his collar by dragging it. Just make sure you cut the "loop" at the end off so he doesn't get it caught on anything. And don't crate him with it (or his collar). In the meantime can you secure your back gate so he can roam around the backyard without a leash? You mentioned it was broken. If he's not on a lead that's one more thing that won't distract him from emptying his bladder.

Unfortunately the peeing thing is just going to take time. You're going to be outside with him for a while. Get some high value treats. Something amazing, like rotisserie chicken or diced hot dogs, actual meat. The whole time you're out with him you should be giving him the "potty" cue-- for me it's just "go potty". Every few seconds, "go potty! Let's go potty!" And when he DOES pee outside-- and he will eventually but again, get comfortable out there because it takes as long as it takes-- you're going to throw him a PARADE of happiness. Just tons of hugs and praise and treats, treats, treats! Lots of "good potty!" He needs to know he just did something spectacular. It took a week for my Aussie, Lucy, to figure it out and after that she learned to go potty on command. She's so good at it sometimes I think she squats just to fake me out for treats.

It's just going to take time, unfortunately. There's no quick fix. And it's one of those things where if you try to make him take bigger steps than he's comfortable with you'll actually do more harm than good. The suggestions already posted about getting him to trust you are dead on. That's really your first step. Get him to trust you through positive reinforcement and calm energy. No negative reinforcement at all. Aussies are "velcro" dogs; they're incredibly loyal to their person and often aloof or disinterested in other people. Because he doesn't have any natural confidence he's going to look to YOU, his person, for cues on how to act and what's safe and what's dangerous. Once he trusts you, he'll do anything to please you and that's going to work in your favor behavior-wise. So no negative reinforcement-- he's a baby, he's trying to figure it out. AND! No coddling. If you give him a lot of "It's okay"s and petting when he's obviously freaking out (about something specific, like a loud noise or an unfamiliar person or something), it's the same thing as praising him for being scared. Then he'll think it makes you happy if he acts scared of that thing all the time.

I'm dealing with the opposite problem with my Aussie; she comes from a long line of working dogs and she's got enough confidence for three dogs. She could care less about pleasing me so I'm having to really work to get her focus. My last Aussie was more like your Obie, and he was super easy to train because all he cared about was making me happy. They're super smart animals-- it won't take him long to figure out what you want as long as you're consistent and patient.

Kariberry is offline Member

Angry

"Cesar Milan may be the most popular dog trainer, but his methods for dog TRAINING are really not helpful and a large majority of the dog training world considers a great deal of his work to be based on outdated wolf-models and to be abusive."

OMG This!!! I got an Aussie pup who sounds very similar to your Obie and ended up (at the recommendation of my idiot vet, no less!) with this awful trainer who was clearly just in love with Cesar Milan and thought his way was the only way to train dogs. It was AWFUL. I ended up traumatizing my dog, traumatizing myself and just making my poor doggie more fearful of people and life. We ended up having to surrender the dog to an Aussie rescue place, because I had little kids then and she was attacking them, and my husband. I have never gotten over it - the guilt!! To this day, when I see that jerk's face (Cesar) I just want to punch him. The trainer "fired" us because he said we weren't listening and he didn't want to be responsible for a dangerous animal.

Fast forward a few years, and now I know a thing or two about training dogs... all the peeps telling you to be gentle, and kind and loving - do that! That's what I KNEW in my heart I should do with this dog... I wish I had had the confidence in my instincts back in my 20s - maybe I would have ended up with a great dog... I'll never know :-(

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    I just want to get him to pee outside. He continues to do it inside. I've taken him out three times today and he just won't pee outside. I can wait and wait but it doesn't happen, I think he's too scared.
    Put the peed on beds or clean up cloths outside and let him smell them there.

You're going to need to stay outside with him *until* he pees, then reward him when he does it.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I took him on a long walk today--most people have been saying not to walk him much, but he seems to really like them even though he's scared. But he pooped and peed on the walk! Well, he still had diarrhea, but better out there than in my house at 3 am. So I made sure he knew I was really happy about that and tried to give him treats, but he won't eat when he's scared. Now I have him in the crate since I need to crate him for work tomorrow and he hasn't been in it much yet. He doesn't seem to mind. I leave for work at 6:30--trying to decide if I should just walk him and give him Rescue Remedy and stick him in the crate, or let my roommate who leaves at 9 do it so he's in there for less time. I'm thinking just get him used to being in there for awhile? I'll be gone 'til about 12:30, come home and then leave again at 1:00 for an interview. I don't think he'll pee in there.

If he likes the walks, that's great! Diarrhea is totally normal given the changes he's been through the last few days, that'll clear up once he calms down a little. And if he won't take the treats then your praise will be enough. Progress!! Yay!!

If you can come home at noon tomorrow and let him out, I bet he'll be fine in there if you put him in when you leave. He's six months old so he should be physically able to hold it that long.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Clymb- Plain canned pumpkin can help a lot with diarrhea (just make sure it's plain, not pie filling with spices). A tablespoon or two on meals depending on his size. As a bonus, most dogs love it. Strangely I've heard it also works for constipation, my dogs have only ever had diarrhea (yay me :P)

You are doing really, really well with your boy- keep it up and he'll be great in no time!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    Clymb- Plain canned pumpkin can help a lot with diarrhea (just make sure it's plain, not pie filling with spices). A tablespoon or two on meals depending on his size. As a bonus, most dogs love it. Strangely I've heard it also works for constipation, my dogs have only ever had diarrhea (yay me :P)

You are doing really, really well with your boy- keep it up and he'll be great in no time!
    The canned pumpkin does work for both constipation and diarrhea. I love it for the diarrhea. Works within several hours to firm it up sometimes.

Our dog prior to this latest foster could not pee outside for the first week. Every noise and movement would freak her out. If you think the leash is intimidating them, try tying a light clothes line to their collar instead of a heavier leash.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast