Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Training HELP! page 5

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow, 18! That is amazing, you are doing amazing work. Thank you for the reply. I know I'll never find perfect owners, like you we just need to trust in the process and our gut instincts.

Yes OP, sorry for the slight detour- please do keep this thread updated! Don't give up!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but PLEASE don't do any negative corrections on your dog. He is in the process of figuring out what is safe for him in the world. He is shutting down from fear. Correcting him will only teach him that he should fear you as well. Cesar Milan may be the most popular dog trainer, but his methods for dog TRAINING are really not helpful and a large majority of the dog training world considers a great deal of his work to be based on outdated wolf-models and to be abusive. The stuff about being calm, and not working in anger, and giving your dog lots of exercise are all good though.

I adopted an abused dog a few years ago. He wouldn't walk, he lost bladder control if anyone looked at him, he would shake with terror at the sight of anything new. The best advice I got was to buy the book "Culture Clash" and read it. The book is annoying, but every single thing she has your do worked for my dog.

For now, it just requires immense patience. If all he is ready for his to step out in to the yard, then just sit there calmly with him until the fear passes. You don't need to talk, or pet or anything. Just be calm and confident and he'll start to feel it.

The other important part is to find out what motivates him so you can start to reward behavior that you like. Does he like a frisbee, hotdogs, or perhaps just be allowed back in the house?

If it helps, my dogs is now an amazing, happy, relaxed beast who loves people and dogs. It takes persistence and patience, but once dogs know that you will NOT HURT THEM they relax a bit and can start to think again.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    I'm also trying to figure out what to do with him on Friday. I usually just work in the morning but on Fridays I work 7-6. I don't think I"ll be able to leave him in the house by then, and certainly not the yard. Will he be ok in my room for that long? I don't know what else to do for him, wasn't expecintg a pup this scared.
    Generally rule is a dog can go as long as his age in months without being let out. And dogs should not be left in a crate for more than 4 hours per day. Is there a friend or family member who can take him? A dog walker that could come by?

I used a doggie daycare for my abused mutt on my longer days. It was nice because he would be too tired to get into any trouble at night . May be too stressful for your dog to be in the general population at a daycare, but they will often have cool, quiet rooms for stressed out dogs.
    Last edited by jammies; 09-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I actually did some research on it and I guess it's completely normal for a new dog to not pee for awhile at first, even up to a few days. If it goes any longer than that then I'll do the vet thing. My friend's brother is a vet and he said it's fine. I just wasn't sure.
    Cats too. When we brought one of our cats home he didn't pee for at least 36 hours.

As for the dog...

OMG australian shepherd! do you have any experience with the breed? They are tough. And one that has clearly been neglected and untrained...ugh, you have your work cut out for you. I'm speaking from experience...we rescued a 4 month lab/pitt who didn't calm down until she was 6yrs, and a 6 month old Shiba Inu (we were her 3rd home) who to this day hates almost all other dogs, but loves people and bows down to cats.

Take him out in the yard and walk around with him *until* he pees. Attach the leash to yourself and just walk, he'll have no choice but to walk with you. No talk, no touch...just walk. Reward positive behavior with food. Ignore the negative.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with him on Friday. I usually just work in the morning but on Fridays I work 7-6. I don't think I"ll be able to leave him in the house by then, and certainly not the yard. Will he be ok in my room for that long? I don't know what else to do for him, wasn't expecintg a pup this scared.
    Crate him. For his own safety and the safety of your house.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I had an Aussie with an ex boyfriend, but he wasn't like this at all! A bit shy for a couple days but not terrified of everything.

He's doing a bit better though. He chewed on his toys and pig ear, which he hadn't done before. I also took him into the front yard instead of the backyard, and he walked a bit. Still some shaking and lying down instead of walking, but it was better. Still no peeing though. We were out there for awhile and he just won't go. He keeps drinking water too but he wont' pee. My boyfriend bought him a crate and he went in there for awhile and seemed ok. I'm going to leave him alone for periods of time tomorrow and see how he does. He still won't wander further than a few feet in my room but that's ok for now.

He just now wandered further in the room and saw his reflection in the mirror and freaked out...

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    You are making progress. I know it is very frustrating and feels like two steps forward, one step back, but it is progress. It is great that he is already chewing on toys and that he seemed ok with the crate- crate training is very helpful with skittish dogs. Just remember to never put him in there as punishment, that should be his safe haven when the world gets overwhelming. You are doing great, keep up the good work!

Last night he peed on one of his beds and at 3 am he got diarrhea all over the floor. I cleaned it but it still smellss in here. I kept him in the crate for 4 hours last night, but I work for 5 tomorrow and I'm worried because I'm not sure what to do. I walked him when he woke up today and he did ok but still didn't pee or anything. I'm gonna walk him a lot today and socialize him with one of the other dogs a bit. I'm staying calm around him but I'm just really worried about tomorrow.

And what would you guys recommend as the best way of socialzing him with the other dogs?

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And what would you guys recommend as the best way of socialzing him with the other dogs?
    Once hes setled in and going for walks, Id start by walkng them together. A nice long walk with calmer laid back dog/s if possible. On lead, not running loose or anything. You want him to get comfortable being with a "pack" (even if said pack is 2 humans and 2 dogs)without the pressure of other dogs nosing all up in his buisness .
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast