Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Training HELP! page 4

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    He should be fine in his crate. I would get him a mommy bear. It seemed to sooth my dog who is a chicken.
    He'll be ok for that long?

Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    Re: Friday- Hopefully he'll be slightly more adjusted come Friday, but you can't expect a dog of any age to hold their bladder/bowels that long. Also, as he will likely be at least a little more comfortable with you come Friday, you may face some separation anxiety, which could result in destructive behavior. Do you know anyone who could come dog-sit for at least part of the day? Ideally someone who could come to your place (even a paid sitter/dog walker) as he will still be getting comfortable with your house. Not forever, but at least for the first few times you are gone for a long stretch, and definitely until he is ok being in the main areas of the home where the outdoor access is.
    I'll have to see if my roommate can do it. It's just hard because he won't go outside unless you drag/carry him, and he needs to be on a leash until we can get the landlord to fix the back gate, otherwise he'll run away.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal cave dog training? Walk very slowly with your dog every day and sprint with him once a week...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Not an ideal situation you are in, to be sure. My sympathies, I'm sure you had no idea that he had issues to this extent. Makes me really frustrated with his previous owners- who gets a dog only to leave him in the yard with no/minimal socialization?? What you are dealing with now can be blamed 100% on those jackasses- in my opinion, you are entitled to go egg their cars (use the crappy cheap eggs, not the good stuff!)

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. I posted on some other forums too but I thought I would ask around here. Anyways, yesterday I got an Australian shepherd. Male, 6 months old. He's very fearful. I grew up with dogs my whole life, and I know they're always shy in a new home. But this one is beyond that. He won't move from a certain spot unless you make him. He hasn't peed once since I got him. He's terrified of the other dogs (he's never met big dogs, they always kept him out in the back yard, never really been in a car, never been on a leash, etc). A few minutes after we got him in the yard yesterday, he found a way out and ran. We found him and he actually came back to us, which I thought was a good sign. He tried to lay down every few seconds while I walked him back home, but when he did this I would just pick him up again and keep walking and say, "Come" and it worked relaly well. But now he's in my room and he just lies there looking terrified and occasionally hyperventilating slightly. I tried taking him to the yard to pee, and nothing. I don't know what to do. Cesar Milan says to be assertive and lead him to what you want. Everywhere else says that's too forceful and to let him do things at his own pace. I just don't know if his own pace will ever allow him to do anything. Please give me some advice if you have any--it's really sad
    I foster dogs. Give him more than 24 hours to adjust. Can you imagine being shuffled from place to place, not speaking the language of your new 'master', and being expected to behave like they expect you to behave within hours? And add on top of that not having any prior exposure to beyond the back yard and suddenly being tossed into a huge environment.

Be consistent, but be patient. Don't force anything yet but also don't let the dog decide it can pee/poop anywhere it wants to. I'd find a crate and crate the dog to give it a safe place to be. It will also help with any housebreaking.

It is sad, but in a few weeks you will probably have a very different dog.

I just picked up a 10 month old lab mix two days ago. He panted for the first 24 hours and rarely sat down. This morning he is a ton better. Some dogs take longer, though. Aussies will benefit from some good exercise (even mental). I would give the dog a couple of days to get used to you, though. LOTS OF TREATS and gentle touch for rewards when he does something positive, and no punishment for any negatives.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The dog hasn't peed? At all? Like, no urine? Get him to the vet, pronto. He may be sick or have a blockage or something.
    I've had dogs hold it for 24 hours no problem when they first arrive to my house. No poop for 3 days, either. They are scared.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    PHaselow- how long have you been fostering dogs? We are on our second foster, first came to us through our local shelter, she was ~2-3mo old german shep mix. Current foster is just under a year, very sweet maltese mix. How do you give them up?? Our first dog my parents wound up adopting (after much pressure from my younger sister and some from my fiance, who was getting attached), so she is still in the family. This current one we have a potential home for, the people are very nice and they have 2 other dogs, but they are not friends/family and.... I don't know. She is still a bit of a handful (naturally, she is young and we've no idea on her background), but she does get along quite well with our two already. In a perfect world we would keep her, but taking on a third dog is a big commitment that I don't feel up to. OTOH, giving her up to essentially strangers doesn't sit right either. I know you can't make this decision for me, I guess it would just be nice to hear about how someone else handles this.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    He'll be ok for that long?
    Most seem to sleep when left alone. Can you get back during lunch? Maybe leave something for him to chew on it might help with his anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    Most seem to sleep when left alone. Can you get back during lunch? Maybe leave something for him to chew on it might help with his anxiety.
    I'll try and give him something and come back if I can. I work almost half an hour away though so it'll be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Badkty22 View Post
    PHaselow- how long have you been fostering dogs? We are on our second foster, first came to us through our local shelter, she was ~2-3mo old german shep mix. Current foster is just under a year, very sweet maltese mix. How do you give them up?? Our first dog my parents wound up adopting (after much pressure from my younger sister and some from my fiance, who was getting attached), so she is still in the family. This current one we have a potential home for, the people are very nice and they have 2 other dogs, but they are not friends/family and.... I don't know. She is still a bit of a handful (naturally, she is young and we've no idea on her background), but she does get along quite well with our two already. In a perfect world we would keep her, but taking on a third dog is a big commitment that I don't feel up to. OTOH, giving her up to essentially strangers doesn't sit right either. I know you can't make this decision for me, I guess it would just be nice to hear about how someone else handles this.
    I think Graham is my 18th foster. Many of our dogs get transported from Southern states because of the glut of unwanted animals down there and lack of money/space in shelters. I give them up because I walked into this knowing my role. There have been 2 that brought me to tears, and 1 that I regret not keeping (yet still grateful for their adoption). Every time I go through "Is this the right family" and have sometimes needed a talking to from the rescue owner about how we can't find that perfect home every time... perfect in my eyes, that is. The majority of my dogs have gone to strangers. I just have to trust the application process (includes background check, home visit and required meet of the dog with all family members and other dogs) and my gut. I don't get to make the final decision all of the time, but I've yet to regret a placement. If I adopt a dog, we can no longer foster (2 dogs and a cat would be enough. I also have a special needs child).

This latest dog might go to our bathroom remodeler! haha

Thank you for fostering. It is greatly needed and really not always easy.

Back to the OP... keep us updated on how the pup is doing! Don't give up.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast