Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Training HELP! page 3

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yanno, I think you're right about the crate, it may be exactly what he needs right
    now, his own little den.

When you get him one, put the pillow case off your own pillow in there with him.

Maybe even your fitted sheet off the bed as well.

Really let him get used to your scent.

Being a herding variety, the crate may just give him the sense of that
    control he needs right now. Even if you get it right this instant and let
    him go in there with the door open with his bed in there.

I've never used a crate either, never have had to, but I think this is one
    instance that it may be beneficial? That is, if it just doesn't end up scaring
    him. It's a tough decision since he's not a baby anymore.

What is his name and how old is he? I think I must have missed where you said
    how old he was. SeniorReadingMoment... har har.

Julia

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Yes, get him a crate and make it his safe space, dogs are den animals so it would be good if he has somewhere he can go and feel secure.
    Dont force him to go in/come out, he needs to know he can go in there to get away from things. if its a wire cage then some blankets over top to creat a cozy den
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    ,,,the scented sheets thing above, and,
    I would also try the food smell thing from Cisar, as mentioned earlier, but,,,

is pup eating or drinking ?

try just sitting close, kinda close without crowding, with some meat, BACON, (my dog loves coconut oil) or cheese, or whatever pup's might be eating,
    maybe you give him a first bite free,
    but let pup come to you for each next piece,
    while herders are more sight oriented, pup should still have a sense of smell,
    must try to sit with any breeze blowing from you and food, to pup.

I'm pretty sure Cisar still would NOT praise pup for coming for food,
    just a dead pan calm, next morsel please, patient, as described with the kitten story earlier,

may take a while, long while, and lots of patience,
    good luck,
    Last edited by neilc11; 09-08-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Ok thanks guys, I had figured I would put a blanket over the crate. His name is Obie and he's 6 months old.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    The dog hasn't peed? At all? Like, no urine? Get him to the vet, pronto. He may be sick or have a blockage or something.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The dog hasn't peed? At all? Like, no urine? Get him to the vet, pronto. He may be sick or have a blockage or something.
    I actually did some research on it and I guess it's completely normal for a new dog to not pee for awhile at first, even up to a few days. If it goes any longer than that then I'll do the vet thing. My friend's brother is a vet and he said it's fine. I just wasn't sure.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with him on Friday. I usually just work in the morning but on Fridays I work 7-6. I don't think I"ll be able to leave him in the house by then, and certainly not the yard. Will he be ok in my room for that long? I don't know what else to do for him, wasn't expecintg a pup this scared.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Some really excellent advice on here. He's only 6mo old so still really a pup, and he's already on his second home (and sounds the first home wasn't a great environment) so just be patient and let him adjust at his own pace, he'll come around.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    He should be fine in his crate. I would get him a mommy bear. It seemed to sooth my dog who is a chicken.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Re: Friday- Hopefully he'll be slightly more adjusted come Friday, but you can't expect a dog of any age to hold their bladder/bowels that long. Also, as he will likely be at least a little more comfortable with you come Friday, you may face some separation anxiety, which could result in destructive behavior. Do you know anyone who could come dog-sit for at least part of the day? Ideally someone who could come to your place (even a paid sitter/dog walker) as he will still be getting comfortable with your house. Not forever, but at least for the first few times you are gone for a long stretch, and definitely until he is ok being in the main areas of the home where the outdoor access is.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast