Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Dog Training HELP! page 10

ASA
    ASA is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Just wanted to advise against giving your dog femur bones or any weight bearing bones of large animals, they are rather hard and their is a good chance they will break your dogs teeth. As will the food aggression I wouldn't feed while around the other dogs to start with. If after a while you want to feed around the other dogs start out with all dogs on a leash and keep them at a distance, gradually moving closer. If your pup shows no attention to the other dogs while eating in the same area drop a high value food into his dish to show him he's doing good, do this with the other dogs also so they don't get aggressive. Hope it all works out, my dog is on a completely raw diet and can be food aggressive with other dogs if he feels his food will be taken by them, we only have one dog but this has happened when he has been feed around my sisters dog.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    As far as the food possessiveness goes: when any new dog is integrating into a home with existing dogs, the best thing to do is to feed them completely separately (separate rooms, or at the very least feed one in his/her crate). If your ultimate goal is to feed them together, slowly start to move the bowls closer together (this is not a short process- think weeks). One of the best writers I've found about dogs and dog behaviors is Patricia McConnell- she is an animal behaviorist and she can help you understand what is going on that that furry little head of your pup's.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Jan Fennel's books are good too.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Thanks for the post, Misabi! I figured Obie was just getting aggressive because I give him so much attention and he's not fixed yet. He's also getting a little possessive of me--for instance, we're sitting alone on the couch together, another dog comes up and he snarls and snaps at them. I've been trying to get him to stop this but it's not working well. I had been trying to show him that I like the other dogs so he doesn't see them as a threat to me, but I suppose this is wrong, according to the above post?
    He is probably not protecting you. He's more likely claiming you - it's resource guarding, just like with food or bones. Does he take treats? If so, giving treats before he reacts to the dog approaching, as the dog approaches should help to curb the behavior.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Any advice on Obie now being a bit possessive abotu food?? Just with the other dogs. He's fine with people with everything, just not dogs.
    Food aggression with other dogs is pretty normal behavior - assuming it's just growling and posturing. Can you just keep them separate when they eat?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Any advice on Obie now being a bit possessive abotu food?? Just with the other dogs. He's fine with people with everything, just not dogs.
    give him a correction. noise/no, and I little poke. if he continues, give the correction and remove the food. you should be doing that anyway. randomly approaching him, telling him to "leave it" and picking up the dish. make him sit/lay/paw/focus (eye contact) before you give it back. food aggression of any sort is 100% not cool at all. a dog won't differentiate between another dog, child or adult who is approaching his/her food dish.

also, watch the situation carefully. it could be one of the other dogs instigating the aggression through posturing or eye contact. oftentimes an older dog does this subtly, kind of like an older sibling teases a younger one when mom isn't looking, then the younger one yells or hits and gets caught by mom
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    give him a correction. noise/no, and I little poke. if he continues, give the correction and remove the food. you should be doing that anyway. randomly approaching him, telling him to "leave it" and picking up the dish. make him sit/lay/paw/focus (eye contact) before you give it back. food aggression of any sort is 100% not cool at all. a dog won't differentiate between another dog, child or adult who is approaching his/her food dish.

also, watch the situation carefully. it could be one of the other dogs instigating the aggression through posturing or eye contact. oftentimes an older dog does this subtly, kind of like an older sibling teases a younger one when mom isn't looking, then the younger one yells or hits and gets caught by mom

He's not aggressive with people at all. Anyone can come near his food. He's just a little territorial about his space and beds and toys. I'm trying to teach him not to. I'm wondering if I should allow the older dogs to get back at him? I think he's just doing normal puppy stuff but I always stop the little tiffs when they start. We feed the dogs separately so that's not so much of an issue, I think I worded my problem wrong. More like he's just territorial. All his issues are with other dogs, he's always fine with people.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    He's not aggressive with people at all. Anyone can come near his food. He's just a little territorial about his space and beds and toys. I'm trying to teach him not to. I'm wondering if I should allow the older dogs to get back at him? I think he's just doing normal puppy stuff but I always stop the little tiffs when they start. We feed the dogs separately so that's not so much of an issue, I think I worded my problem wrong. More like he's just territorial. All his issues are with other dogs, he's always fine with people.
    Still not acceptable. I'd let the dogs be dogs. If he starts shit with an older dog and the dog nips him, so be it. They will all fall in to place
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910