Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee? page

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member

Coffee?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I've never been a coffee drinker, I had a black coffee tonight and it wasn't too bad but I can imagine that having it with coconut milk or cream would be nice.

What are everyone's thoughts on coffee? It would be nice to have in the morning when I wake up, what are the positives and negatives? What type of coffee is most primal to get?

innadoom is offline Member
    I love coffee. There's mixed opinions but I don't think there's anything wrong with coffee unless it disrupts your sleep or something, or you drink nothing but coffee and are constantly dehydrated (I did for years). I believe coffee is more healthy than unhealthy, and not a bad "vice" to have at all. Coffee is supposedly one of the most heavily pesticized crops though so you might want to opt for organic.

Black coffee is great on its own, if it tastes bad you're probably drinking bad (think old like you find on store shelves especially if it's pre-ground, or overroasted like Starbucks) coffee, or you're not used to it. Coconut milk is ok in coffee although when I drank regular milk and before I drank my coffee black, I have to say regular milk is the best if you're going to add stuff to your coffee. But black coffee is great on its own like I said, no need to add anything extra.

Some people swear by coconut OIL or blending butter in theirs. Personally never tried either. There have been a few threads about coffee though.

If you want to get primal you might want to try roasting and grinding your own beans. Home roasted and fresh coffee is 100x better than anything you could buy (after you practice a bit). And it's a great hobby. You can add spices to the blend to vary taste.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Coffee wasn't really something that Grok drank. Because of that, I'm not convinced that there is a 'more primal' version - dairy milk, coconut milk, cream, butter, black etc. -- the main thing is that you're not using a fake-food product like non-dairy creamer.

That being said, as a coffee lover I've got to vote for black. I've been everywhere on the spectrum -- all percentages of dairy milk, cream, creamer, powdered milk, coconut milk, almond milk, butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, and probably a few others. In the end, quality coffee beans, fresh ground and brewed via a good method (i.e. french press) without anything else in it is the way to go.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    In the end, quality coffee beans, fresh ground and brewed via a good method (i.e. french press) without anything else in it is the way to go.
    It is the way I go too - don't care if it's primal or not

imp
    imp is offline Member
    I drink all types of coffee...mostly black (Americano, French press, chemez, etc.) But I also do drink latte with whole milk. As long your diet is generally primal its okay

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Like anything else, there's good and bad with coffee. The bad would be for specific health issues and/or when coffee is one's main drink of the day. The good is that it's delicious and a nice little pick me up in the morning or early afternoon. There are people here who can give you more specifics or you could google "health benefits of coffee," and "negative impact on health from coffee."

A cup or two a day most likely won't hurt you, especially if you drink a decent quality coffee. A pot a day of Folgers will probably leave you feeling like crapola.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    How do I take my coffee? Very seriously.

and with heavy cream
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

joinorgage is offline Junior Member
    agree info,It is the way I go too - don't care if it's primal or not

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    It is the way I go too - don't care if it's primal or not
    Sipping on my morning cupa right now. If you listen to Dave Asprey then it's primal -- but he's also trying to sell you coffee related products, so take that with a grain of salt.

In the end, you have to listen to your body. I love coffee, but if I have it every day then I start to develop a nasty caffeine addiction. 3-4 times per week is my limit. Other people can have a couple cups a day and be fine.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have 2 1/2 cups every morning, with coconut oil, cinnamon, splash of whole milk & heavy cream. I usually buy coffee from a local company, which isn't organic, but it suits my tastebuds, my budget, and I like knowing I'm supporting a local business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast