Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 133

Thread: Rice chex? page 7

  1. #61
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Wait I though Peat was pro- butter/saturated fat right? Or is he just pro-saturated as a very small portion of your diet so not really pro butter.
    He is, hes just not pro use butter as a moisturizer while you sip a cup of liquid fat with a splash of coffee. Nowutimean?

  2. #62
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,258
    Are These 10 Foods Primal? | Mark's Daily Apple

    Goat Whey Protein

    If cow whey is Primal – and I think it is, which is why I use it in Primal Fuel – then goat whey is also Primal. In fact, I strongly considered using it and might have were it not for the high price of goat whey. You see, there’s simply not as much goat milk whey produced in this country. It remains a niche product, a product with low supply and high prices.

    However, if you’re willing to pay for goat whey protein, there are a couple potential benefits that could distinguish it from cow whey:

    It tends to be less allergenic than cow’s milk. Oftentimes, folks who can’t tolerate cow dairy protein will be able to tolerate goat dairy protein. If you have problems with cow whey, but still want a quick and easy protein source, goat whey will probably work well.
    Goat milk oligosaccharides have displayed intestinal anti-inflammatory effects in animal models of colitis. If the goat whey protein you’re using retains these oligosaccharides after the purification process (and one study confirms that raw goat whey at least starts out with oligosaccharides present), it may not just be less inflammatory than cow milk whey, but positively anti-inflammatory.

    Verdict: Primal.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  3. #63
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Yeah, I wonder why he'd consider whey protein primal.

    Sorry, I didn't see "grok" shaking a blender bottle and pounding down whey protein shakes.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  4. #64
    Euphoric's Avatar
    Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah, I wonder why he'd consider whey protein primal.

    Sorry, I didn't see "grok" shaking a blender bottle and pounding down whey protein shakes.
    Grok would also be cooking his food over a fire instead of using butter. However, I always saw Primal as a middle-ground between paleolithic and neolithic. Grok's always been a sort of starting point, not necessarily a hard and fast rule.

  5. #65
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah, I wonder why he'd consider whey protein primal.

    Sorry, I didn't see "grok" shaking a blender bottle and pounding down whey protein shakes.
    Gelatin > whey
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  6. #66
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphoric View Post
    Grok would also be cooking his food over a fire instead of using butter. However, I always saw Primal as a middle-ground between paleolithic and neolithic. Grok's always been a sort of starting point, not necessarily a hard and fast rule.
    Great but whey protein powder was invented in the 1970s. It is highly refined and certainly nowhere close to a real food. Mark just approved it because he is selling the most expensive whey supplement on the planet. Its a complete joke.

  7. #67
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah, I wonder why he'd consider whey protein primal.

    Sorry, I didn't see "grok" shaking a blender bottle and pounding down whey protein shakes.
    I don't much see Grok shaking envelopes of gelatin into his food either. *shrug* I'm not a re-creationist. But if the definition of Primal is what Mark says it is, then whey protein is primal. I think gelatin probably is also, but I'll leave that search to others.

    I like bone broth. But I guess bone broth is a processed food because the animal was butchered, and then I heated the bones in water to get the gelatin. Oh lord, where will it end?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  8. #68
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't much see Grok shaking envelopes of gelatin into his food either. *shrug* I'm not a re-creationist. But if the definition of Primal is what Mark says it is, then whey protein is primal. I think gelatin probably is also, but I'll leave that search to others.

    I like bone broth. But I guess bone broth is a processed food because the animal was butchered, and then I heated the bones in water to get the gelatin. Oh lord, where will it end?
    Well, I don't claim to be primal, as you know. I also don't believe people should be adhering to all things Mark says, because it's a business for him, when his basic principals are "eat whole foods", and the name itself strongly leads to cavemen habits based on the guesswork of cavemen being free of modern diseases.

    However, when you consume animals entirely, gelatin is abundant. Same can't be said of whey and the culinary artists of the paleolithic era.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

  9. #69
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    This is quite akin to the concept that consistently spiking your insulin with carbs will make it completely impossible to lose fat since insulin shuts down lipolysis.

    While the latter part of that is fact... that does not automatically make the former fact.

    If you can't see that you have made the very same mistake in your assertions on fat then you really are lost.

    Both those proclamations sound good if you know "just a little" biochem/physiology, but neither pan out in human trials. Now that is a fact.

    And to wrap it up...efficiency is a good thing. Preservation of resources, metabolic and otherwise is good. It also tend to reduce oxidative stress.
    I haven't made any mistakes. I simply stated that if you want to gain body fat, there is no more effective medium than dietary fat. I said nothing about losing body fat. In that case, you need a significant calorie deficit. I'm not interested in your straw man.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  10. #70
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,390
    It's not the same thing as that at all. Fat is slow metabolizing, and the shift from glucose to fat oxidation places emphasis on energy creation rather than consumption. This is why it stores as fat. Of course, all things said on this are looking at things through a pinhole, and don't touch on the interaction of substrates, but this is generally what happens. Carbohydrates with high fat make you fat because fat inhibits glucose oxidation, specifically unsaturated fat. Not sure why no one gets this yet.

    Example:

    Look at the fruitarians. They consume upwards of 70 bananas a day. This is an absurd amount of calories, and it's all sugar. They're very, very lean. Now, look at most people on VLC. They consume less than 2k calories, most of the time, this causes them to go into a deficit, and so, they lose weight, and the fact that lipolysis is using stored fat for energy in a deficit. If they consume over that, more fat is stored.

    There are many more things to touch on regarding this, but it's been said before, and this is just a crude example.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •