Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 133

Thread: Rice chex? page 11

  1. #101
    Scott F's Avatar
    Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    958
    Shop Now
    Went to an outdoor pizza place Friday night (wood-fired oven). Turns out a friend of mine happened to be there, too. I bumped into him this morning for coffee and asked him how he felt Saturday morning. Even though both of us pigged out the night before on the starch we both woke up the next morning really hungry. He thought he'd eaten so much the night before that he'd skip breakfast the next morning and wouldn't be hungry. On paleo/primal I'm normally not hungry in the morning and most often wait to lunch. So why were we both so hungry the next morning if gaining/losing fat is simply CICO?

    It seems to me (N=1, 2 if you include my friend) that eating certain foods can cause you to want to eat more. There's more to CICO (I used to believe in strict CICO dogma too). Bodybuilders have notice over the years that if they ate a higher percentage of calories from starch they tended to eat more calories overall and over time. They noticed the same with fruit so they cut back on that when trying to cut for a competition. It's a biochemical reaction. If smoking a joint, or drinking alcohol, can give you the munchies...maybe the macro ratios one eats can also affect hunger.....food for thought.
    Last edited by Scott F; 09-09-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

  2. #102
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That is something different. As Choco has explained many times, if someone were to eat a sufficiently low fat diet, no excess of carbs would be great enough to gain weight.
    I am almost positive he has never said that.

    When fat intake drops below around 10% of total energy intake and you're in a caloric surplus, de novo lipogenesis is ramps up. He probably has said something along the lines of a surplus being more effective in terms of total body fat gain when fat intake is a bit lower and carbs are higher.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  3. #103
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,006
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    How do you know?
    I've eaten them.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  4. #104
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Will this thread never die? I was wondering why I've started to crave Rice Krispies
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  5. #105
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    I am almost positive he has never said that.

    When fat intake drops below around 10% of total energy intake and you're in a caloric surplus, de novo lipogenesis is ramps up. He probably has said something along the lines of a surplus being more effective in terms of total body fat gain when fat intake is a bit lower and carbs are higher.
    He has said that if a person is eating a sufficiently low fat diet, the excess carbs will not result in fat storage. He has said it numerous times. The problem is, as he says, is that people never really eat a low fat diet. They are kidding themselves or are lying.

  6. #106
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,006
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Will this thread never die? I was wondering why I've started to crave Rice Krispies
    Rice krispies with half & half is amazing. I was served it at a cousin's house once. I still remember it 25 years later, lol. OMG, if sugar was added... I'm not helping am I? :/
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  7. #107
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Rice krispies with half & half is amazing. I was served it at a cousin's house once. I still remember it 25 years later, lol. OMG, if sugar was added... I'm not helping am I? :/
    I used to eat them with hot milk - they'd shrink to about half the size and then I'd add more so that it was one big solid gloop I did this with most of my cereals in fact... Coco pops. Mmmmm.

    God dammit, I need a turn off - where's that video of Durian and his skinny neck?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  8. #108
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,006
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I used to eat them with hot milk - they'd shrink to about half the size and then I'd add more so that it was one big solid gloop I did this with most of my cereals in fact... Coco pops. Mmmmm.

    God dammit, I need a turn off - where's that video of Durian and his skinny neck?
    Warm cereal? Yuck. Cold and crispy! Lol.

    Yes, go eat a banana, dear.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  9. #109
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I've eaten them.
    Puppy Chow? Is that on the Ray Peat diet too?

  10. #110
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    He has said that if a person is eating a sufficiently low fat diet, the excess carbs will not result in fat storage. He has said it numerous times. The problem is, as he says, is that people never really eat a low fat diet. They are kidding themselves or are lying.
    Carbs typically don't result in fat storage unless you overeat them to the point of topping out glycogen stores. Consumption of carbs leads to increased carbohydrate oxidation, less fat oxidation, which means the dietary fat you eat will be stored, even on a low fat diet. This is all assuming you're in an energy surplus.

    I think you're misinterpreting something, somewhere.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •