Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are vegetables necessary for a healthy body? page 4

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mark doesn't know everything.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Why or why not?
    Okay, well Mark is the creator of the Primal Blueprint which is what this forum is about so to me what he says hold a lot of weight. Here is another article about why we need vegetables and this one has a ton of studies to back it up.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

Just blowing the whistle on the pseudo-science. All the poorly-absorbed nutrients stored in the flesh of plants can better be obtained through animal products and the parts of plants that WANT to be eaten. That means berries and fruits, things with seeds designed to pass through the gut which intend to make themselves beneficial to the eater. Broccoli stalks and similar play no such games, and are very bad to eat (poorly digested, irritating, cause goiters, etc.) raw, and only marginally good cooked. Better than starving, but rather the opposite of necessary.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Just blowing the whistle on the pseudo-science. All the poorly-absorbed nutrients stored in the flesh of plants can better be obtained through animal products and the parts of plants that WANT to be eaten. That means berries and fruits, things with seeds designed to pass through the gut which intend to make themselves beneficial to the eater. Broccoli stalks and similar play no such games, and are very bad to eat (poorly digested, irritating, cause goiters, etc.) raw, and only marginally good cooked. Better than starving, but rather the opposite of necessary.
    Ah, there’s no need to be so hard lined about it, though . Many plants have excellent medicinal qualities that aren’t found in fruits and meats. Oregon grape root and garlic have amazing antibacterial properties that kill things medicinal antibiotics can’t (like Group B Strep). Onions and garlic also have a great effect on digestion. As for leaves: Dandelion and nettle are great diuretics as well as store houses of vitamins. Red raspberry leaf helps with labor pains and speeding up the second stage of labor. Don’t forget about the vitamin K in kale, nettle, etc. Sure, these can be found in meats, but they are very bioavailable in leafy greens. Even cats eat grass…

Yeah, but do we need them?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    One could probably get by quite well without them. People live many years lacking major nutrients (those people who eat nothing but potatoes or chicken nuggets, etc). They're bodies create them. When we eat the whole animal, we get a lot of those veggies in their intestines, etc. Fruits also contain a lot of the same nutrients. But, I do think veggies have their place, if not every day for everyone, then at least medicinally. You're the one telling me to eat hoards of kale before we go to the hospital to give birth so they don't have to give a vitamin K shot...
    Last edited by Aldergirl; 09-08-2013 at 11:35 PM.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    My 2 cents: I only use veggies for color, aesthetic and taste. 3/4 of my veggies are actually fruits used as veggies. Real veggies ? mmm, not a big priority, especially leafy greens, I don't see much point eating them even though I don't mind a green salad once in a while like the salade nicoise, really like that one

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    My favorite veggie is bacon.

dazygyrl is offline Member
    i'm happy to see this thread. my gut just churns and churns and other unpleasantries when i eat veggies.

those that don't what do your menus look like?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast