Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The truth about what it's like to live on the beach in So Cal page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

The truth about what it's like to live on the beach in So Cal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I live in a desirable beach town in Southern California and have all my life. This is what it is really like.

First of all, the people who live in my town are very spoiled. We are comfortable when the outside temperature is between 68 and 72 and we complain to the weather man when it isn't in this range. Fortunately, it's within this range a great deal of the year. But this fact has its drawbacks.

For as long as I've lived I have never lived in a house or apartment that had air-conditioning. Why bother if it's always so mild? I do not like air-conditioning anyway and would rarely ever turn it on even if I had it. A few times I've lived in places that had no heater, but this is rare.

We've just had 2 weeks of unbearably hot and humid weather. It's been in the upper-80s to mid-90s with humidity that would probably make most of you who suffer humidity laugh at us. But that didn't stop us from complaining bitterly. You see, we have no air-conditioning. None at home. Many of us (me) don't even have it at the office. So to bear it, we have to open windows and doors and hope air will circulate. Perhaps we will resort to buying a fan. Sometimes the IT department won't let us put fans or heaters in our offices and so we suffer. At night, people will sleep outside. I have been sleeping on the couch in the living room because the bedroom is too hot. I wouldn't dare sleep outside otherwise the "wildlife" (skunks, possums and raccoons) would be walking all over me. We go to movies to escape the heat. Or choose restaurants that have outdoor seating. It usually starts to cool off in the evening so this buys us a little relief and time to let our houses cool off at home.

I have had to drink lots of diet lemonade. I know it's not primal but it's the easiest way to choke down enough cold water to cool off a little bit. Another thing I've had to do is put an ice pack under my Macintosh to prevent it from overheating and burning my legs up. I take my shoes and socks off at work for relief. I have had to cut back on exercise since the gym (which has air conditioning) is closed and it's just too hot to do anything more strenuous than sit under a shady tree. I've done a lot of sitting under our shady avocado trees, but that has been an exercise in russian roulette because huge bacon avocados have been falling with a loud crack onto the deck, exploding guacamole everywhere. One of these days I could be seriously hurt.

When the heat finally breaks, the fog rolls in. Then it is cold and humid. Some people like the fog but I think it is cold and gloomy. The strangest thing about sleeping in the living room on the couch has been that I can see the sky through the window and the sky has stars in it. I can't remember the last time the sky had stars. It usually has fog.

The other inconvenience we sort of default to because of our "lack" of weather is that often there aren't screens on the doors or windows. To open the windows means to open yourself to whatever would like to come in. Fortunately we have few bugs, but now and then there are hatches of strange chitinous creatures or moths that you just don't want in your house. Usually the problem is the neighborhood wildlife. Neighbor cats seem to make themselves at home, sometimes dogs, and once I looked up to see a skunk exploring my living room!

It's like living in some kind of primal past, actually, if you think about it. No wonder Malibu Mark came up with the Primal Blueprint. We're already living so primitively here in So Cal anyway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have had to drink lots of diet lemonade. I know it's not primal but it's the easiest way to choke down enough cold water to cool off a little bit.
    Cold water might be an even easier way to choke down enough cold water to cool off a little bit.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    It's been in the upper-80s to mid-90s with humidity that would probably make most of you who suffer humidity laugh at us.
    Yup... I work out in that kind of weather with no AC! It takes some time to get used to it, but I actually kind of like it. I have no problem working out outside or being active when it is 95 and humid.

That said, if the power goes out at night, I cry like a baby. I can not sleep in hot, humid weather,

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

moluv is offline Senior Member

The truth about what it's like to live on the beach in So Cal

Could you expound on the "huge bacon avocados" please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ETA: google is my friend. Nevermind.
    Last edited by moluv; 09-07-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Could you expound on the "huge bacon avocados" please
    I guess you looked them up. The house I live in sits on the site of an old avocado orchard so we have several trees. Many houses still have some of the old trees. There are even a few of them in the parking strips on the street.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    You may notice not many people commented on this and I wonder if its because people don't know if its serious or satire? I mean, I'm having a real hard time mustering sympathy for you from Texas where it's still 90's everyday and the grass is all dead, there are no trees, no water, no hills, no beach and certainly no BACON AVOCADO TREES. I can't open my door without 10 flies coming in. And all the pools closed 2 weeks ago. It'll be hot like this for another month. But most people have air conditioners, so maybe I can get a little sympathy flowin there. Go get a fan! And pull your drapes shut when the sun is out. So weird about the screens though, seems like people would always want the windows open in mild weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We don't do screens here either. I don't know why. It means you get bugs in the house. So you either A. let that happen or B. swat them! It's sort of a game for us to swat them. We have a running competition.

I will light the world's smallest and quickest burning candle in prayer for you. LOL

Drapes?

Ugh, it finally happened. I was hit on the head by a falling avocado. At least it was a small one, but still it hurt.

Cave Bird is offline Member
    SBHikes, I feel your pain, lol. I live north of you, on the Central Coast. We ARE very spoiled here! Anything hotter than 80 is a heat wave. I am so used to moderate temps that when I go on vacation I practically pass out from the humidity! No one I know has A/C. My office doesn't have it, but we all have fans. It's better than nothing! Oh, and I could never live without screens! But then I have 2 parrots, so screens are a must!

I'm jealous of your access to avocados!

We have parrots, too. And they can fly. We have screens on the windows but not on the door. For a long time we didn't have screens on the windows. Sadly, because of the big bird, we have to put a barrier up against the screen otherwise she will chew her way out. We don't have drapes except in the bird room. It's the only way to eek out a little peace and quiet long enough to sleep to about 6:30AM.

Thanks to our avocados we can't have a vegetable garden. Not enough sunlight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast