Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you Peat today?

Hybrid View

Cool What did you Peat today?

One of the main questions people ask when they first start eating Peat is for examples of daily menus. The Ray Peat thread is getting huge, and so the answers are being lost in all the other stuff we talk about.

So, this thread is specifically for posting your daily menus, and for getting advice on what you're eating. Enjoy!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I bought half a cow yesterday. Ok, not quite but I did buy 10 lbs. of Australian grass-fed beef tenderloin, 10 quarts of grass-fed + pastured beef and chicken stock (fat skimmed), 1 lb. grass-fed flat iron steak, 1 lb. grass-fed denver steak, 1 lb. sirloin tenderloin, 4 lbs. grass-fed ground beef, 3 lb. grass-fed eye of round roast.

Freezer is well-stocked for a while O_O

Also bought: 12 cans clams, Wild Planet canned tuna, concord grapes, bananas, masa harina, Florida oranges, plantains, cantaloupes, Green & Blacks 85% chocolate, Eastern white potatoes, Japanese sweet potatoes, corn tortillas, fresh parsley, scallions, and cilantro.

Online I ordered Honest potato chips cooked in coconut oil.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

LOL.

Oh J3nn, you wished for recipes, so here's one (I stole from the Ray Peat forum )

PANEER

This is very easy and very Peat. Paneer is milk without the whey. Nutritionally it's got about seven grams of protein and a lot less tryptophan. (Milk protein is about 2,3% tryptophan, paneer protein is just 1%).

It can also be a cheese protein substitute but without the enzymes and ageing.

Boil milk, add lemon, wait for it to curdle, drain and press it. You can add salt or sugar, dust it in potato starch and fry it, eat it with honey, etc.

Instructions cadged from the internet below:

How to Make Paneer (Indian Cheese): 7 Steps (with Pictures)
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    LOL.

Oh J3nn, you wished for recipes, so here's one (I stole from the Ray Peat forum )

PANEER

This is very easy and very Peat. Paneer is milk without the whey. Nutritionally it's got about seven grams of protein and a lot less tryptophan. (Milk protein is about 2,3% tryptophan, paneer protein is just 1%).

It can also be a cheese protein substitute but without the enzymes and ageing.

Boil milk, add lemon, wait for it to curdle, drain and press it. You can add salt or sugar, dust it in potato starch and fry it, eat it with honey, etc.

Instructions cadged from the internet below:

How to Make Paneer (Indian Cheese): 7 Steps (with Pictures)
    I tried this once with low-fat milk and vinegar, ate it with salt.. very easy and filling.

I can't find any cheese in the supermarket without 'enzymes', except Daisy's cottage cheese, but that's almost always out of stock (someone else stocking up, lol).

THe Big Fish Question

Everyone asks about fish, so here's a list of Peat-approved slimy things

"Eating low-fat seafood (sole, whitefish, turbot, scallops, oysters, lobster, shrimp, squid, etc.) once in a while can provide useful trace minerals, without much risk. However, fish from some parts of the ocean contain industrial contaminants in the fat, and large fish such as tuna, swordfish, Chilean sea bass and halibut contain toxic amounts of mercury in the muscles. Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish) is very high in fat, too."

Here's his article on why not to eat omega 3s and 6s: Fats and degeneration

FRUIT

"Have some with every meal to prevent hypoglycemia after eating the proteins.

If you're able to do it, try to consume fresh fruits and fruit juices every day. Orange juice is great because of itís potassium and magnesium content. Tropical fruits and juices are excellent too. If you donít have a juicer at home, you can buy pasteurized juices with no additives that say ìnot from concentrateî on the label. Juices that are from concentrate are made up of mostly added water that is flouridated.

Fruits in general are fine (tropical are best), but grapefruit is full of phytoestrogens, so avoid it, and berries are full of small seeds you can't avoid, so it's better to skip them. He recommends avoiding bananas and other starchy-poorly-ripened-industrialized fruits, which includes most apples and pears (when these are ripe, peeled and cooked they are much more nutritious, and safer).

Organic dried fruits are fine as long as they are not treated with sulfur dioxide; canned fruits are okay, especially if they are in glass. You can have a small apple and some cheese as a snack occasionally if it doesn't cause any digestive or allergic symptomsóthe fat in the cheese is protective against the starch in incompletely ripened fruit."

Source: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=419742 (good summary)

---

Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Here's a great snack if anyone is interested. Milk (I used lower fat), honey, salt, and cinnamon heated on the stove. Add in gelatin and stir. Comes to a great flavor when cooled, almost like rice pudding without the rice. I made it 2 days in a row so far.
    SOunds yum! WOuldnt have thought to add salt to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I'm definitely not fully Peat but some stuff is familiar. Basic daily diet for me:

7:00 am green powder drink (have been drinking it forever and it's like a comfy food blanket for me)
    8:00 am - bone broth with 2 TBL gelatin. I use Great Lakes and like it.
    10:30 ish - 2-3 eggs cooked in coconut oil, plus strawberries and grapes after. Usually some slices of this super spicy ginger rolled in coarse sugar. Maybe dried apricots and dates too
    2:30 - either a tin of sardines or can of tuna, minimal fat. On weekends I make mussels etc but its easy to do sardines or tuna. Probably not Peat approved?
    Pink grapefruit and some crushed pineapple
    6 or 7 pm - lately it's been 2 eggs mashed with banana, then cooked pancake-like in coconut oil. Other times it will be meat or seafood. I've just been on an egg kick lately. I usually snack on a date or 2 at night.
    9:00 pm - hot cocoa with 2TB gelatin.

I have a spoon of honey a couple times a week and don't drink straight juice or milk. I actually really dislike drinking milk. I do love 2% cottage cheese and just bought some of that to help when I want a snack. I feel much better after ditching vegetables in favor of just fruit. Makes so much more sense to me. And I never liked pounding down a bunch of red meat and prefer seafood anyway.

So, are sardines ok? They do have bones in them. They had buy one, get one free tuna at the store today (the wild kind in the BOA free cans) so I bought a bunch of that. I guess the consumption of so much fruit juice is something holding me back a little.
    I think it all looks good Zanna You could up your fruit a bit more - it doesn't look like you're getting that many carbs.

Sardines are a fatty fish so not Peat-approved, but if you're eating them cos you love them then don't deny yourself. I kept eating a lot of salmon for the first month, but then I noticed that it made me tired. I craved it about two weeks ago and had it, but other than that I'm perfectly happy with oysters, mussles, prawns, calarmari, crab.

I'm not too pedantic about his fruit list, but I do avoid grapefruit as it's oestrogenic, and I have oestrogen dominance. For another person it may not be a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Abdominal pain. Its a combination of bloating (not gas though - no need to isolate myself from a crowd) and some burning I guess. Yesterday after lunch it was burning, throat/esophageal tightening (after I swallowed it felt like just below my throat stayed tight) and bloating. The bloating is weird. Its like my stomach bloats... The pain is just below my ribs and starts within minutes of eating - seems like it can't be intestinal because the food can't move that fast! However it will persist for hours. Hours after eating the pain and bloating will be a little lower - more like below my belly button. Basically, I eat breakfast and am pain free. Once I eat lunch I'm in pain (its really just uncomfortable, not "pain" per se), until I poop the next morning when I get a few hours of freedom... kinda sucks

Also - I have no other systemic symptoms - achy joints, phlegm, itchy eyes, weird skin things... But after really watching this for weeks now the only thing that is consistent is that I can eat breakfast pain free. That is it. No matter what I eat later the pain starts after lunch. Today it just kicked in a few hours late.
    Lori, if you want advice it's important to state that your digestive issues are a long standing problem, and that this woe is affecting you differently to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I tried this once with low-fat milk and vinegar, ate it with salt.. very easy and filling.

I can't find any cheese in the supermarket without 'enzymes', except Daisy's cottage cheese, but that's almost always out of stock (someone else stocking up, lol).
    I have to admit, I'm pretty lazy when sourcing my dairy. One step at a time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Do you guys just get whatever fruit is in the supermarket, or make an effort for local and in-season fruits?

I eat a lot of local fruits when available, the past couple months was mangoes. Avocados are also in abundance here but now consuming less (a spoon here or there instead of the whole fruit). Oranges are imported and always taste good. We don't get too much variety in imported fruits, mostly a lot of melons, pineapple, apples, grapes. The melons and pineapple are kinda bland and therefore not appetizing.. I generally don't care for apples and grapes. So it's hard to get in as much fruit as I would like.
    WHere do you live Girl? Are you actually in hong kong?

Peat's favourite fruit are cherries, grapes and watermelon, but I would just eat whatever is good. I think he approves of lychees too. Organic dried fruits are fine as long as they are not treated with sulfur dioxide; canned fruits are okay, so long as they're in sugar, not syrup.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-08-2013 at 04:18 AM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Lori, if you want advice it's important to state that your digestive issues are a long standing problem, and that this woe is affecting you differently to normal.
    I've mentioned it to Zach before but YB is right - I'm following this way of eating to *fix* long standing GI issues...

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    I've mentioned it to Zach before but YB is right - I'm following this way of eating to *fix* long standing GI issues...
    I just thought of something Lori. As I mentioned, I struggled with the high fruit intake initially (triggered IBS-D), but after a few weeks it disappeared. I wonder how much the gelatine helped with this?

"Gelatin is a hydrophilic colloid that aids digestion by attracting digestive juices to the food in the digestive tract. While performing this important function, it prevents bad bacteria from sticking to the wall of the gut, thereby preventing and mitigating bacterial infections. It also neutralizes toxins created during intestinal bugs or the flu.

Gelatin is reported to seal and heal any damage it finds by lining the gastrointestinal tract and nourishing the rapidly-growing mucous membranes. Numerous sources claim that ingesting gelatin also helps to prevent wrinkles, improve joint function, and maintain beautiful hair."

Source: Gelatin: Could It Be a Cure for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

- Ray Peat

I love paneer.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

I dont need recipies or big meals anymore. In fact the only time i do eat simethin like that it is definitely not Peat approved. Right now for fat loss, my days look almost the same.

An hour after waking up, litre~ of juice. (oj, cranberry, apple, pineapple, grape) added sugar.
    Until around 1pm. Half coffee, half skim milk. Added sugar, gelatin, dry milk, coconut oil, salt. About 32oz total.
    2pm - 7pm. I will have solid foods here. Usually a meal of cheese and dried fruit. 3-8oz cheese, .5-1lb fruit. (Soft chedder, hard chedder, gouda, mozzarella)(dates, mango, pineapple, raisons). Another meal will be just fruit, usually grapes, plums, mango, oranges. Also probably another 32oz juice.
    Around 9pm, last calories. 16oz skim milk with added sugar, gelatin, salt, dry milk.

3 days a week i will have 1 tin oysters with my coffee. An alternate 3 days i will have some meat, usually beef. Whenever i feel like it i will have pizza, burgers, ice cream or whatever. Several nights a week i will have some alcohol, german beer or gin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I dont need recipies or big meals anymore. In fact the only time i do eat simethin like that it is definitely not Peat approved. Right now for fat loss, my days look almost the same.

An hour after waking up, litre~ of juice. (oj, cranberry, apple, pineapple, grape) added sugar.
    Until around 1pm. Half coffee, half skim milk. Added sugar, gelatin, dry milk, coconut oil, salt. About 32oz total.
    2pm - 7pm. I will have solid foods here. Usually a meal of cheese and dried fruit. 3-8oz cheese, .5-1lb fruit. (Soft chedder, hard chedder, gouda, mozzarella)(dates, mango, pineapple, raisons). Another meal will be just fruit, usually grapes, plums, mango, oranges. Also probably another 32oz juice.
    Around 9pm, last calories. 16oz skim milk with added sugar, gelatin, salt, dry milk.

3 days a week i will have 1 tin oysters with my coffee. An alternate 3 days i will have some meat, usually beef. Whenever i feel like it i will have pizza, burgers, ice cream or whatever. Several nights a week i will have some alcohol, german beer or gin.
    Wow, I guess I'm more Peat already than I knew. Minus the coffee this is how I eat when I don't want to cook. I could live off nothing but dairy and fruit. It sounds like maybe I should Plus honey in my yogurt and tea and some extra gelatin...I often eat starches but that takes effort and planning and I would have an easier time without it for a bit. At least while the weather is still nice.