Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283

Thread: What did you Peat today? page 83

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel

yeah, they haven't really established what is chronic use, and too much. most centurians had a daily habit of consuming some form of NSAID.

Determination of Metabolite of Aspirin (Salicyluric Acid) by Colorimetric Method in Human Urine
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    If you have a key foods- their cottage cheese doesn't have gums and is $1.99/16oz.

Yessss. And they have the pineapple 1% kind like friendship.

Addicted. So cheap. So law student budget friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I've never seen/heard of Key Foods, but Friendship is <3
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Hey Derp, did you study any of this stuff in school or just read a lot? (Not a criticism, just curious)

Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    Hey Derp, did you study any of this stuff in school or just read a lot? (Not a criticism, just curious)
    He reads a lot.

------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

I know yogurt has been brought up in this thread a few times, with Peat's standard advice being to limit it to a spoonful or two because of the lactic acid emptying liver glycogen, but I found something interesting regarding strained/Greek yogurt.

The "Ray Peat critical review" series: Yogurt depletes the liver's glycogen - Really? - Ray Peat Q&A

"A spoonful or two of acidic yogurt isn't harmful, but a cupful of the
    acidic type can be enough to deplete the liver's energy stores,
    because lactic acid is converted to glucose in the liver, requiring
    energy. The "strained" type that isn't acidic is similar to cottage
    cheese and is safe.” – Ray Peat

Most of the thread is debating how damaging the acidic yogurt really is (most people seem to think it's not that bad), but I thought this bit about strained yogurt was actually more interesting, since this is the kind I like to eat anyway.

I think that most Greek yogurt is strained in the way Peat is talking about, right? Apparently this isn't the case with 'real' Greek yogurt in Greece, which usually isn't strained, but the stuff in America that's marketed as Greek yogurt, Fage and the like, is supposed to be strained (I can't find a statement from the company about this, but all the other articles I've read seem to confirm it).

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Greek yogurt is not as strained as cottage cheese, but yeah, it would have less lactic acid. Straining out the whey makes it thicker, aka. "Greek" style. Cottage cheese curds is just one step beyond that, making it chunky by removing even more liquid.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I still haven't added any cottage cheese yet (now that I think about it, I can't remember ever having tried it). I saw some of the Friendship brand in the store the other day, I was thinking about getting some based on the recommendations in here, but I didn't end up getting any. I think I probably will next time.

I wonder what an acceptable level of acidity is in terms of the effect on the liver? According to this

Digital publications, newspaper, magazine and book - Npaper BETA

the PH for both cottage cheese and strained yogurt is fairly close (between 4.4 and 4.8), though the PH alone probably isn't the full picture. I can't find an actual amount for lactic acid in cottage cheese, but even the measurement for unstrained yogurt is fairly low (5.4g). It does seem a bit odd that Peat recommends being so cautious about one, but not the other.

What did you Peat today?

Strawberries & cream gummy squares.

Strawberry part: 1/2cup gelatin, 1 cup apple juice, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup strawberries (puréed )

Cream part: 1/2 cup gelatin, 1 cup grassfed whole milk (wish I had condensed or skim milk powder), 1/2 cup water, 1 cup sugar

So. Good. Dammit.

------

SJW2 is offline Member
    I know Peat recommends grass-fed ruminants if one is eating meat. However, for budgetary reasons, are 99% FF ground turkey/chicken breast/pork tenderloin okay? The source is not ideal, but the low-fat content probably minimizes any PUFA issues, no?

Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283