Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you Peat today? page 12

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Why do they say pears and apples have to be peeled and cooked? We have so many right now; our trees are loaded down with fruit, I'm trying to eat more fruit but if I have to peel and cook them I won't bother.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    But I've been too tired to exercise these days!! I bet it's the lack of sleep that's making me crave sugar.. .
    Just saw this girl, and thought it might be interesting to you:

"In monkeys living in the wild, when their diet is mainly fruit, their cortisol is low, and it rises when they eat a diet with less sugar (Behie, et al., 2010). Sucrose consumption lowers ACTH, the main pituitary stress hormone (Klement, et al., 2009; Ulrich-Lai, et al., 2007), and stress promotes increased sugar and fat consumption (Pecoraro, et al., 2004). If animals' adrenal glands are removed, so that they lack the adrenal steroids, they choose to consume more sucrose (Laugero, et al., 2001). Stress seems to be perceived as a need for sugar. In the absence of sucrose, satisfying this need with starch and fat is more likely to lead to obesity"

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Thank you.

I've added a lot of fruit and gelatin lately, and restarted eating quark. All good (unless it's quark that upsets my joints, not the art sweeteners, lol).

Thing is, we are running out of our beef, and pork is coming first, so I am thinking it will be a great time for me to go fish, fruit and quark way. I still have liver, so I can cook some of that, while my folks can finish the meat and start on the pork. We are also out of poultry, and I won't buy it again for a while till someone asks for it.

I am also finishing my last pack of gum, so I think adding real sugar should help with killing cravings for the artificial sweeteners (dugh!) Is Peat Okay with honey and coconut sugar?
    Gum is my achilles heel I know its terrible, but I have no intention of giving it up! I'm completely reliant on it.

Just go with the flow and see how you feel eating certain foods. Personally, eating meals with only 1-3 ingredients made me really sensitive to how I reactive to particular foods, and I gradually moved away from the ones that didn't make me feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Why do they say pears and apples have to be peeled and cooked? We have so many right now; our trees are loaded down with fruit, I'm trying to eat more fruit but if I have to peel and cook them I won't bother.
    I think it's:

skinned - to remove pesticides
    cooked - to reduce fibre...?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Gum is my achilles heel I know its terrible, but I have no intention of giving it up! I'm completely reliant on it.
    Oh, I did not know that. I really have troubles letting go off the gum. I need a scary article or something about how gum chewing ruins your life....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Oh, I did not know that. I really have troubles letting go off the gum. I need a scary article or something about how gum chewing ruins your life....
    Lol - well it's not the gum - just the artificial sweeteners in it. Maybe I need to take up chewing tobacco...

ETA. and yup - as far as I know, those sugars are fine.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Organic and tree-ripened, I think you're golden.

http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Leida is offline Senior Member
    About candy - do you have to use gelatin, or liquid pectin is also beneficial? If yes, one of the best home-mady candy ever is the pate de fruit, made with liquid pectin, lemon or fruit juice or pulp and sugar. It is really something, and has a better texture to gummies (and flavor to kill for).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    Are there any good brands of gummy bears or similar gelatine candy? I'm fed up with making it myself and it always tasting like garbage. Most brands use Glucose syrup which I don't want. Also, any particular dried fruit that Peat recommends? I'm looking at buying a lot to save money. Raisins for one!
    Obviously this isn't the answer you want because it doesn't involve buying the candy (which is always going to cost a lot more anyways). Just wondering if you've ever made homemade marshmallows? They have a bit more flavor, the recipe I use has honey and vanilla but I think you could use any sugar to make the syrup. Incredible texture. Yum.

Now someone's probably gonna burst my bubble and say we can't have vanilla.

Peat isn't a fan of pectin because he believes it feeds bowel bacteria thus causing endotoxin problems.

Vanilla is fine

- Ray Peat

How do you guys make your coffee? I have an Illy stovetop steel espresso percolator thing, which I add to steamed milk, sugar and gelatin (takes about 2 cups of milk for this) to make a latte. I think it's too fattening with so much milk. And rich. And the espresso is too strong. I also have a French press which then I just add splashes of milk and the other stuff to. But I think it's too strong too. I don't think an electric coffee pot is in my future as I will soon be living off grid with solar electricity and we won't waste it (or counter space) on a coffee maker. Hmmm. What else is there? Something smoother. Anyone use a drip thru copper sieve thing? I suppose what I'm after is a weaker brew that tastes good that only needs a little milk. Cold brew?

Leaflard is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I use an Aeropress to make mine.

I heat a cup of 1% milk and whisk in 1T green can Great Lakes gelatin, 1T coconut palm or turbinado sugar, a bit if cinnamon and a bit of vanilla. I then plunge two scoops of freshly-ground French roast coffee into that and stir. It's lovely.

Page 12 of 83 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast