Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble spots - size and strength page

Primal-J is offline Member

Trouble spots - size and strength

Primal Fuel
    I've been eating paleo/primal for almost 4 years now, and have had great success with the lifestyle. I'm 33, male, feel 23. 5'10" 175 to 180 lbs with wide structure.

I was working out on and off for the first 3 years, and the past year I've been more dedicated to intense workouts;

WO one;

- 3sets of chins/pulls
    - Weighted lunges
    - Bar dips

WO two;

- Push-up variations (Atlas, width variation, incline, decline, raised grips) with weight bag. I'm up to 50lbs 3X6
    - Shoulder press
    - Sprints twice a week

I typically rest 2 to 3 days between workouts and working on getting better sleep (dark room, no fluids 2 hours before, 7 hours min).

I've gained strength and size all over. Legs significantly bigger, arms shoulders bigger. This to me indicates that I am eating plenty of food (I eat a bit too much and have a layer of fat at the moment from bulking up)

However, my chest won't grow or change. No matter what I try I can't seem to get a bigger chest to go with the rest. I've gotten stronger with pushups (from no weight bag to 50 lbs) and I use the chest and not the arms to push.

Any suggestions for a trouble spot like my chest? I'm starting a very strict workout/diet plan from here to January with goals of gaining more upper body strength and size. I'll start leaning out mid winter I suppose.

In summary; gains everywhere but chest. Consistently increasing chest weight the last 6 months but no size build-up. Biggest trouble spot being upper chest.

J

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Trouble with working chest is that the shoulders and Triceps often take over. Have a read of this article, it might be of some help:

The Best Pectoral Exercise | Doug Brignole - Exercise and Biomechanics

Thanks for the article. I've been avoiding decline because I'm trying to work my upper chest. I'd say the first 2 months I was using a lot of shoulder and triceps to push, but with the Atlas and wide grip, I definitely feel it more in the chest. I'll do very wide grip push-up sometimes and they are quite difficult but have been gaining in reps.

J

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    It's hard to get big on pushups alone unless you're doing a huge amount of volume. Like hundreds and hundreds. Getting on a bench will help out.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

I keep reading that it's hard to get a chest with push-ups because of the limited weight. I'm adding weight and progressively increasing - which should show gains, according to all conventional wisdom. I have seen strength gains, however.

J

I still think you're going to up the volume considerably if your goal is size. Even benching 250lbs+, if I want size gain over just strength gain I have to up my reps a LOT.

Maybe that's the problem - I've been aiming for 3X6 and increasing when I can do 3X8.

What kind of volume should I be looking for if I want to focus on size for 6 months?

J

Weighted pushups for size, I'd say something like 10x8, or 10x15.

Thanks Mr. Anthony,

I'll give it a shot since the lower reps have only resulted in strength (and admittedly tighter muscle fibers). I seem to be harder but not bigger. Strange that I've gained a lot everywhere else with 3X6.

J

Any tips for activating the chest muscles instead of the shoulders and triceps? I've somehow developed big/strong shoulders without really trying.

J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast