Thread: Hey Diana, can I eat this? page

Primal Fuel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40952959@N02/3777291349/

Before I eat a gazillion people posting that I shouldn't eat these without verification from an expert, I know I know, I am just looking for some general info or where to take one of them to find out. They popped up over night, literally.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

haha! I have thought about posting pictures of mushrooms for diana to look at also.

chaosthetic Guest

Nope, not edible, but not poisonous either - 99% sure what you have there is "Psathyrella hydrophila". These were crazy common out in WA were I lived for the last 5 years, in the late summer and fall. Lots of kiddies mistake these for the colorful-closed-eye-visual inducing sort!

A good rule of thumb with all LBMs (Little Brown Mushrooms), is to leave alone unless you have an experienced mycologist on hand. To get an expert opinion though, a great place to start is your local mycological society. The national org has a website listing all the local chapters. Check it out:

http://www.msafungi.org/

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

What Chaos said. LBM's range from foul tasting to toxic. Generally I avoid them simply for safety sake. We get over-run with them here.

I have a few photos of safe mushrooms, but your best bet is to find an 'edible mushrooms' book that has full color photos. Generally when I find new shrooms I'll snap a photo, then go into Barnes & Noble and use one of their books to reference it- lol. So far all of them I've had to look up have been inedible.

chaosthetic Guest

Another tip for correctly IDing your mushrooms: get multiple field guides for your area and cross-reference. The bible for all myco-endevours is "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Aurora - as comprehensive as it gets, but hard to dig into (might want to bone up on your myco-terminology first).

Another standard is the Audubon Field Guide to NA Mushrooms. Although no where near as comprehensive as MD, this book is a great starting point for IDing as it contains lots of nice glossy photos. These photos are often WAY off though, from the native variation in your area or just due to light differences.

I own both of these and a variety of region specific guides (ie Northwest, upper Midwest). Ill first take pictures (where found, if possible), then a spore print (KEY!), and then run it threw MD and the Audubon guides to see if I cant pin point it there. If not, then its into the regional guides which often have rarer species or more specific information in their keys.

It is quite an addictive hobby, especially if you start edible cultivation. Before you know it, your entire universe will revolve around fungi!

happy hunting!