Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone successfully conquered food addiction? page 2

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    WHat? There are tons of success stories!
    So now people not only have to be at a normal weight and have clean eating, they have to have perfect psychology to be a "success". Ugh, sorry not to have been born with the right synapses for you.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    So now people not only have to be at a normal weight and have clean eating, they have to have perfect psychology to be a "success". Ugh, sorry not to have been born with the right synapses for you.
    That's not what knife was saying. He said that there are plenty of people who have successfully conquered food addictions. Look at the post title!

I agree with him. There are plenty of success stories.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

[QUOTE=YogaBare;1303754]That's not what knife was saying. He said that there are plenty of people who have successfully conquered food addictions. Look at the post title!

I agree with him. There are plenty of success stories.[/]

So managing isn't conquering? You actually have to rip out your brain and replace it to be declared a winner? I think that's lame. If I meet an 80 year old woman in OA who has been at a normal weight for 50 years, I'm saying she conquered and hailing a mighty hero.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    You said
    And by managed it, I mean people like you. Fewer than 1% of people who lose 65 pounds or more keep it off for 5 years or more. You are a hero that has accomplished a miracle! If you have not registered with the National Weight Maintence Registry so that your success can be studied, I hope you will do so- National Weight Control Registry
    and then I said:
    WHat? There are tons of success stories!
    and then you said:
    I'd like you to explain yourself. Otherwise, I'm just afraid of you now.
    Oh, then you said:

So managing isn't conquering? You actually have to rip out your brain and replace it to be declared a winner? I think that's lame. If I meet an 80 year old woman in OA who has been at a normal weight for 50 years, I'm saying she conquered and hailing a mighty hero.
    which I still don't understand, yet. But I'm proud of every single person who has made any progress at all, in any way, regarding their health!
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-07-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Oh I think I get it: you aren't making an argument about definitions, you are making an "argument" against facts.

*shrug* the facts aren't my fault lol

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Oh I think I get it: you aren't making an argument about definitions, you are making an "argument" against facts.

*shrug* the facts aren't my fault lol
    The OP asked a question.

Kinfe answered "Yes".

You answered "Kind of, but no.",

Knife disagreed with that.

There was no implication of weakness. You're projecting onto him.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Overcoming disordered eating and binge eating was gradual, over 3 years, for me. Eating HFLC helped overcome the fear of fat mentality, yet I still binged quite often. Pregnancy and taking care of a kid was a big motivator to deal with these bad eating habits, but I wasn't able to overcome 100%. Since increasing carbs and eating a lot of fruits in the past few months, I haven't had the urge to binge. I don't know if it's considered 'successful', but I've come much further than ever before.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yes, I have no idea what this is about. Just saying, "Sorry if I said something wrong, but I don't know what it is."

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    No. I have an addictive personality that comes with my extremism. I will always have a love-hate relationship with food.

I mitigate this by loving other activities and people (including myself), and hopefully that evens out with my urge to binge eat sometimes. It is a work in process, but I feel that after going Primal, those urges have definitely subsided to a point where I can lose weight veeery slowly after struggling with weight gain for a few years.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherW View Post
    So I'm wondering if anyone else in this community has dealt with this with any success? What has worked for you?
    What exactly do you mean by success? What you have accomplished so far is HUGE! I hope it makes you feel powerful. Does it? Even if you feel like you're only 90% of the way to where you want to be, you've already done something amazing and that is proof that you are capable of amazing things. So this last little bit of the way is feeling tricky. It might take a bit to figure out the path, but keep telling yourself it would be much tougher for a 315 lb alcoholic smoker. I've been at my goal weight for several months and I still pull up a graph of my weight loss and tell myself what a clever girl I am.

My definition of success is being able to maintain a healthy weight with what feels like minimal effort. I think I'm there after being overweight for 25 years and obese for the last 10. I still eat stuff sometimes that I feel like I should say no to. In the last 9 months, there have been a couple of occasions where I kind of lost my grip on sugary baked goods. One time it took me almost a month before I felt like I was back in control. I never stopped eating primal foods, just piled a bunch of extra junk on top. The most weight I ever gained back was 7 lbs and anything I ever gained came off pretty fast once I got myself together. Recently I seem to be satisfied with much smaller binges, of the sort a normal thin person eating SAD would eat without giving it a second thought. I think months of eating nutrient dense food has really helped me to not lose control so much when I give in to something sweet and not particularly nutritious.

Self-analysis is a tricky thing, but I think a huge turning point for me was deciding I was not going to let food make me feel bad about myself any more. Most thin people I know feel very little emotion about their food or eating. They have very few rules about their eating, even if they generally eat a healthy diet. If they feel they have been eating too much lately, or too much junk, and they decide to cut back a bit, there is no judging or recrimination, no scouring their minds or their macros to figure out why, they just do it. That's what I want. I'm feeling pretty close.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12