Thread: VFFs + old foot injury page

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member

VFFs + old foot injury

So I went to try on VFFs yesterday, and I really want to get a pair. The only thing I'm worried about is, on 04 I broke the 5th metatarsal on my left foot (outside bone). Anyone have a similar injury that has/hasn't had issues with VFFs?

I feel the pain every now and then when I'm walking barefoot in my house, but I don't know if VFFs will alleviate or exacerbate the pain. Any thoughts/comments would be super helpful, thanks!

groquette is offline Senior Member
    I can't speak to the Five Fingers, but have you looked at any videos about barefoot walking/running to see if there is something about "form" that you can do to help alleviate pain? I've watched some videos with talks by Christopher McDougall and Daniel Lieberman and was pretty blown away by how wrong I'm walking (and no *wonder* I hate running!)

Well, the pain isn't constant, I only feel it occasionally. I'm reading Esther Gokhale's book right now (8 steps to a pain-free back). While I don't have back pain, my posture is crap. We'll see what that does for me.

Bump for a possible answer?

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I broke my pinky toe and I have no problem with VFFs.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I broke/dislocated all the tarsal bones of my right foot 4 months ago and it still feels weak, even today. I also have gout which is a recurrent nuisance. My feet have always felt weak and with these injuries I'm just really afraid that I'll always have issues. I'm hoping that strengthening them will help.

I went to REI to try on some Five Fingers so in the near future I might have an answer for you.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Ouch Joka, sounds painful

I think I might just dive in and see, there's a return policy on shoes anyways right?

I'm gonna pick up some KSOs and see how they treat my feet. I'll update once I've had about a week or so.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max[imilian] View Post
    So I went to try on VFFs yesterday, and I really want to get a pair. The only thing I'm worried about is, on 04 I broke the 5th metatarsal on my left foot (outside bone). Anyone have a similar injury that has/hasn't had issues with VFFs?
    I've broken metatarsals in both feet: 4th in sept 2007 and 4th/5h in '88 (right before spring break in cancun...)

The more recent injury from 2007 I still 'favor' and am very careful with it but I can wear my VFFSs without issue and all day long - including hiking in the nature preserve. I actually got them b/c the injury site will get a little achey in my Keens after a long day but so far so good with my VFFSs

Make sure you have optimal/high circulating 25(OH)D levels to support bone matrix regrowth. Info in my D doc at the bottom of the page.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

thanks kat

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Max[imilian
    I feel the pain every now and then when I'm walking barefoot in my house !
    And before my VFFs, I never ever went barefoot - even at home because it was too uncomfortable. I could feel that former injury site in the left foot grinding against the floor O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Jokaman70 View Post
    I broke/dislocated all the tarsal bones of my right foot 4 months ago and it still feels weak, even today.
    Vitamin D deficiency. But having said that, while I was off crutches and the boot at an amazing 4 weeks (the second time, not the first), it still would get sore if I was up and about for more than a little while. And the Disney vacation at 6 mos post injury included copious amounts of ibuprofen around the clock....I thought I was going to *die* it hurt to bad.
    Last edited by cillakat; 06-06-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: formatting

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order