Thread: Triathlon training whe short on time page

Richardmac is online now Senior Member

Triathlon training whe short on time

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys

I am posting this wondering if there are any Triathletes out there. How do you set up your week?

I am a new father and family is my priority. I am a trainer but not with endurance athetes as such. I am just taking up Triathlon after years of rugby. I commute to work twice a week by bike (10 mies each way) in which I switch up routes to incoporate 45 degree climbs. I also run short/long interval sessions during the commutes.

I use Body by Science once a week for my strength work.

Any other work is usually core based to work around my bad back.

Has any one used a minamalist set up like ben greenfield (attahced link)? Ben Greenfield's Triathlon Adventures: Sample Training Week of Minimalist Ironman Training...

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Hey guys

I am posting this wondering if there are any Triathletes out there. How do you set up your week?

I am a new father and family is my priority. I am a trainer but not with endurance athetes as such. I am just taking up Triathlon after years of rugby. I commute to work twice a week by bike (10 mies each way) in which I switch up routes to incoporate 45 degree climbs. I also run short/long interval sessions during the commutes.

I use Body by Science once a week for my strength work.

Any other work is usually core based to work around my bad back.

Has any one used a minamalist set up like ben greenfield (attahced link)? Ben Greenfield's Triathlon Adventures: Sample Training Week of Minimalist Ironman Training...

Richard
    I'm in a very similar boat with 2 young sons (one that doesn't sleep well so all a bit tired here....). I'm looking into combining some aspects of Ben greenfield's stuff too. I run my own business and generally work from home (so no commute), so have just bought a treadmill desk - am walking about 5-6miles a day on that plus a workout a day (60mins plus of either low intensity stuff, or some intervals), plus doing 5 pull ups or similar every hour.

Am meeting up with Ben Greenfield in London next weekend so will bend his ear about this.

What distance are you training for? I'm planning to do a couple of 70.3s in 2014, then an IM in NZ early 2015. I've done 3 70.3s in the last few years so have a vague idea for that distance.

Would be good to bounce some ideas of each other (and others) on this.

The kids are a true blessing, and are a willing distraction from all things including training.

A one on one meeting with ben would be great. Let me know how it goes.

In training for a sprint initially, but then an Olympic distance. After that, who knows. I suffered disc injuries when I played rugby and mu back can sporadically flare up. So the running worries me although im fit enough to do it. The transition from nike which im strongest at to the impact of running could hurt.

I decided to stick with body by science strength training which I have a couple of clients using. Allows me time for life.

Bens minimalist training incorporating static holds etc (which iv used in the past) is interesting and worth reading up on. I had thought about following that routine as is written (more or less) and tracking my progress over the winter and in the lead up to the races. Would be interesting if we both followed it and tracked progress ie body comp, strength, times etc.

Richard

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Can Do Coach Deb is offline Junior Member
    Hope you don't mind if I chime in. I am a triathlete and in fact recovering from rotator cuff surgery from crashing out of my last 70.3. Training is very tough to fit in with "real" life. I train with an organization called Endurance Nation, and although you train 6 days a week, the sessions are doable. Also they emphasize target workouts. For example, they go on the assumption that most of us have more time on weekends so you do a long ride both days. Long run is Thursday and you do a good swim workout one other day. Their whole motto is around helping you coach yourself within the confines of a real life schedule. They even talk about the importance of SAUs- spousal approval units wherein you put in extra family time in return for a long ride for example lol. Check them out at www.endurancenation.us. They offer tons of free stuff to check them out before joining so you might find what you need. Right now I am limited to " Grok walks" and can't wait to get the go ahead to start riding the trainer. Swimming will have to wait until March or April. I am a good swimmer so figure I will be able to put in enough time to do Ironman Mont Tremblant 70.3 in June. Good luck and Keep Tri- N!

rettalking is offline Junior Member
    I am a triathlete and in fact recovering from rotator cuff surgery from crashing out of my last 70.3.

Denae84 is offline Junior Member
    It starts out really slow and builds up. I think I might mix the days around and make Sunday my rest day. My sister is training for an ironman and says she will train with me, but I have a feeling my entire workout will amount to her warm up.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What start out really slow and builds up?