Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - family says I SMELL!! page

Kris T is offline Senior Member

HELP - family says I SMELL!!

Primal Fuel
    I am not sure what is wrong, or what is going on.

Since I went Primal almost 3 weeks ago, I have a 'smell'. I used to not even use deodorant, and never had a smell problem. Now, I can't even stand to raise my arms and apparently my pores are creating a smell. Even my pee is strong smelling and it never was before.

I bought an herbal deodorant at the health food store, but it isn't working. I am getting worried.

On Sunday I started a Whole 30, so I am not eating dairy anymore either.

Am I just detoxing??? Will it go away.

Sample menu - what I ate today

5.30am - 3 scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup shredded beef, 1 fresh peach
    10am - 10 macadamia nuts
    12am - 1 homemade beef jerky
    2pm - 12 oz steak, large green salad

That is all I plan to eat today.

HELP!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Samphis is offline Member
    From your food, I'd say that's ketosis. Try eating more carbs. Add more some fruits, sweet potatoes, etc.

I went through the same thing. I can relate. Also, it might take a couple of days to pass.
    Last edited by Samphis; 09-06-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Ja, that's ketosis. Drink more water, first of all. Ketosis uses more water than glucose-running does, so keep an eye on that.
    Next, eat more carbs, especially cooked starch you've left to cool. Also, calculate how many grams of protein you're having. Because, from my calculations, you'd better be doing weights. It's a waste of protein to just eat it and piss it out.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd also agree that it's ketosis, and likely a bit of detoxing. The detoxing smell will go away. I don't know about the ketones, but Knifegill (my husband) is usually in ketosis and doesn't smell... He'll get funky breath, if anything, and brushing fixes that.

I actually notice that I start stinking when I start eating starches. It's a 1-1 correlation for me during this pregnancy. I eat rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. and I stink the next day. I eat them for long periods of time, and I stink the whole time. I stop eating them, and I stop stinking. So, starches may not be the answer for you, either!

I'd stick with the diet changes for a few weeks, using a strong deodorant in the mean time (the natural stuff often doesn't do much good, and 2 weeks of chemicals isn't that bad), to see what happens.

If I am in ketosis, does that mean that weight loss will halt???

I drink a 28oz bottle of water at least 5 times a day. Thought that was enough water, but I will get down more. I will add some potato too.

I am doing some weights. Mostly right now I am shoveling/sifting and hauling dirt and rock for at least 4 hours each morning. Trying to get my daughters side yard cleared out and graveled.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Kris T; 09-06-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis in layman's terms:

-Your body typically runs primarily on glucose extracted from foods.
    -When you don't eat many carbs, your body will make its own sugar by recombining protein and fats. This new sugar is called a ketone. Some people run better on ketones, some on glucose, some even use mostly ketones when eating more than enough glucose, due to their body's preference.
    -If you cut carbs back enough, you start running almost entirely on ketones.
    -Short-term ketosis, in and of itself, is not a negative state, but can have negative effects on some people.
    -Prolonged ketosis is not a healthy state for most humans. Carb-refeeds or even going back to more carbs in general is better for most.
    -It has been argued that ketosis is better for brain-function, although others suggest this may simply be due to increased fat intake, which is good for brain function on its own, without entering ketosis.
    -When you start going into ketosis varies from person to person, but it SHOULDN'T happen at 100g carbs/day or above.
    -Ketosis can be very good for fat-loss, as it encourages your body to use fat.
    -Ketosis can cause muscle-wastage when not eating enough protein or not being active enough.
    -Ketosis can cause smelly breath and sweat in some people.

If you're getting 140fl-oz/day, you're probably good for water. Just carry on following your thirst response. Most people often drink too little, which would enhance your sweat's smell. If this were the case, the strong smell would be a warning sign that you're drinking too little, which could lead on to dehydration and salt imbalance issues. Judging from how much you're drinking, it's probably just the smell of ketosis, though.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Thanks for the info!!!

One thing I have loved about this new lifestyle and the ppl on the forums is that I am learning. CW just wants you to follow what they say, no questions. "They" are the experts and we are supposed to follow their plan for us.

On these threads, I have learned so much on how the body works, why we should eat what we do. If someone has a new situation or question, there are many who know what and why, or at least can point in the right direction.

Awesomeness!! Thanks so much again!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

snoops is offline Senior Member
    When I quit grains my sweat smelled bad for about 4 months. So I'd say probably detox. It does stop:-)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    How were you eating before?

I didn't eat really bad. for the most part not much processed foods. Made my own bread, even ground my own wheat. I have about 600 pounds of wheat in my basement in sealed buckets that I run through a stone wheat grinder. Thought I was being really healthy. Not sure what to do with all that wheat now....

Lots of chicken and salads. Switching to Primal was not a huge stretch. Mostly just dropped grains and added a lot more meat.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast