Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Does Your Fish Cost? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

How Much Does Your Fish Cost?

Shop Now
    I have asked a similar question before, but it is worth asking again in a different way.

I continue to find salmon for very reasonable prices. I went to D & W yesterday and found 12 oz. of salmon for $6, Mahimahi for $8 I believe, Ahi Tuna for $8.... ALL WILD CAUGHT! AND packed in the US! (does this mean anything?)

I mean, this is no doubt more expensive then 100% grass fed beef if you buy a whole cow. But, if you buy Organic Smart Chicken breasts it is $7.99 lb. at the same damn place, and grass-fed ground beef at my local farmers market runs at $7 from a very excellent farm.

So, the fish I buy, Full Circle brand, is NOT that much more expensive. Vital Choice sells there fish for $30 lb or more!! Why?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am so confused... how can the price be that big of a difference? Dr. Mercola says to avoid fish, take a fish oil instead, but he recommends any seafood from Vital Choice. Is it that great?

ANSWER AT LEAST THIS QUESTION: How much does your fish cost?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    i got two big frozen tuna steaks from trader joes for 5 bucks. Product of thailand, wild caught. Once thawed they turned green and the texture was way off. They ended up in the garbage. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Im loving the $20/lbs fresh alaskan salmon right now at wholefoods

Interesting... Well, $5 is real cheap - was it about 1 lb.? The cost I buy is $7.50-$10 per lb....

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    i think it was closer to 1.5 lbs, they were big. They glowed flourecent green/grey similar to leaky car fluids.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I'm leery of the Full Circle salmon in my Albertson's. It's 'wild caught' from China and it's color added even though it doesn't say so. I recognize the gray meat under the pink coloring. Some of it just says Salmon under ingredients. Some of it is labeled Keta salmon under ingredients. That is the same as Chum or Dog salmon, which is used in Alaska as chum and dog food. You are not getting great tasting high omega 3 salmon if it is all Dog. It's not a bad choice like Tilapia, but I would rather just get deep water cod, which is probably cleaner and to me tastier and usually a buck less a pound.

My Stater Bros keeps getting beautiful red Sockeye filets from Alaska and marking them down to $5 a pound after 9pm the day before their exp date because they don't sell fast here. I grab them every time I see them.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I think that doctor likely suggests taking the fish oil for several reasons, first the chance of other impurities like mercury and the other is that in farmed fish, they are often fed grain products which reduces the yummy fish oil. Thats what I've read anyway.

Here, I get haddock for about $6/lb, scallops for $9/lb, lobster for $5./lb

Salmon, I have to get from costco because all the local salmon is farmed salmon and they'd rather sell it to you americans than sell it locally. I usually pay about $20.00 for 2-3lbs maybe.

Brian C. is offline Member
    I’m very fortunate to live by the Ocean. I catch all of my fish. I love free fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    I'm leery of the Full Circle salmon in my Albertson's. It's 'wild caught' from China and it's color added even though it doesn't say so. I recognize the gray meat under the pink coloring. Some of it just says Salmon under ingredients. Some of it is labeled Keta salmon under ingredients. That is the same as Chum or Dog salmon, which is used in Alaska as chum and dog food. You are not getting great tasting high omega 3 salmon if it is all Dog. It's not a bad choice like Tilapia, but I would rather just get deep water cod, which is probably cleaner and to me tastier and usually a buck less a pound.

My Stater Bros keeps getting beautiful red Sockeye filets from Alaska and marking them down to $5 a pound after 9pm the day before their exp date because they don't sell fast here. I grab them every time I see them.
    So you think full circle seafood is super bad? Your making it sound like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. View Post
    Iím very fortunate to live by the Ocean. I catch all of my fish. I love free fish.
    The ocean? It says you live in Orlando, FL.

Thanks for the responses guys! Keep them coming!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in Grand Rapids, MI

*waves to Dosenberry*

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Thank goodness for the DeKalb Farmers Market! During salmon season, I can get wild alaskan for $7.99/lb

I really should get one of those food vaccuum sealer thingies and freeze a bunch of it in the chest freezer.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast