Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my professor an idiot? page

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member

Is my professor an idiot?

Primal Fuel
    Im taking exercise physiology at my university, and I just got out of class and I'm confused..
    My professor made these three points..
    1) The brain can ONLY function on glucose.
    2) High fat and low carb diet makes you gain fat.
    3) Low carbohydrate diets make you use protein for fuel, thus, deteriorating muscle. Again, she says the body stores the fat because its in "starvation mode".

Clearly this is 100% against the paleo theme.

Can I get some sound scientific feedback on this please? Ive been paleo for 6+ months, and when I was living at home this summer, I gained about 6 lbs, reaching 150lb. At this time I had more access to food, and I was eating more vegetables and fruit, consuming near 200g carbs/day. Now Im at school and Im eating 100g carbs/day, 150+g protein, and about 130g fat/day. My weight has gone down to 144lb. Am i losing muscle mass or fat? My body composition looks the same, so Im not sure where the weight loss is from. Help me out here because Im frustrated..

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    Also, im 19, 5'10", and eat about 2200+/- calories/day. Workout 3-4 times a week, bodyweight training. Been doing this for 3 yrs.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    The brain does need a bit of glucose, although it can run mostly on ketones, and many argue more efficiently.
    High fat and low carb diets CAN make you gain fat if you can manage to overeat, but many people find it hard to do.
    Low carbohydrate diets do make you use a little protein for fuel, but they tend to be high protein anyway, so muscle catabolism isn't really an issue.

I recommend you read the most recent post on www.theeatingacademy.com and look into his citations if you need something from medical journals or whatnot.

Or, even better, just bite your tongue, get your A, and be ready for the rest of the bad science you'll be forced to regurgitate in order to earn a degree in ex-phys.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Well, (1) is definitely not true. The brain can also run on ketones. This is well known. Just look in any biochemistry textbook.

As for (2) and (3), I think it's contradicted by anecdotal evidence, at least. I don't have any citations to back them up, but I'm sure others can provide you with that.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like she is teaching from a purchased textbook or media sound bites and has no firsthand knowledge about the subject material. Award yourself an A and then answer the questions on the text the way she wants you to, so she will give you a good grade, too.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    bummer, I guess I dident loose 50+ on low carb after all.....
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Basically +1 to all those that already responded

And most college level intro courses arent going to talk about the nuances of things. I mean I'm assuming this is an introductory level exercise physiology course. If so then we can cut the professor a bit of slack. If you are in a masters program.... get your money back.

Bah, never mind. Get your money back either way. 1, 2, and 3 are not supported by any clinical trials to date. In fact I can at least cite a few that go completely against those conclusions.

1. Is freaking easy. The answer is ketones.
    2. Basically any low carb trial that shows loss of fat refutes that.
    3. Needs more study, but there is more evidence that low carb is lean mass SPARING than not.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9

http://www.nmsociety.org/docs/LowCar...rable-body.pdf
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-06-2013 at 10:44 AM.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Yes. The answer to your question is yes.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

gmatt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Yes. The answer to your question is yes.
    Indeed!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Your professor is mostly correct.

1). When ketone bodies are created, they inhibit glucose oxidation to spare glucose to the brain. Ketones themselves are limited by transport capacity.
    2). You lose fat on VLC, by liberating stored fat, but there can be a rebound effect.
    3). There can be no way that VLC is lean mass sparing. Protein has a beneficial effect on lean mass preservation. Adequate carbs prevents protein from being used to make glucose. Proteolytic enzymes that digest protein are also inhibited by excess fat.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast