Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is my professor an idiot? page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh, Derp, it's so cute when you make up stuff.

Any diet that provides enough protein for your body's needs is a "protein-sparing" diet. The idea that eating enough protein but also some undefinable level of fat will lead to your body not using the protein you eat but instead cannibalizing your muscles for amino acids is utter hogwash.

When I spent my last stint in college, the exercise physiology students had a "senior projects" display in the gym. The one I recall was where volunteers kept a food diary for a period of time and had their body fat measured. People who consumed less fat had higher body fat.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Except I'm not making it up.

Oh, boy, that's solid proof right there. After exercise, muscles consume mainly fats, so maintaining relatively large muscles prevents accumulation of fats.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Except I'm not making it up.

Oh, boy, that's solid proof right there.
    I would like to see the references you can cite where it says that the body does not use fat for fuel, and preferentially uses protein for fuel. That's what you're claiming. Stop being such an untermench.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    the body can use fat for fuel to some extent? If you don't even know how substrates interact, there is not much I can do to help you. Read some more books.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

oxide is offline Senior Member
    1. References to ketones and brain function apply only to people in ketosis, which is less than 25 g carb/day (VLC). Primal recommends at least 50 g/day, 100 long-term, and a little more if you work out. That's no longer ketosis. So even if you're prof is (rightfully?) against ketosis, she still isn't against Primal. Primal and ketosis are NOT the same thing.

2. "Fat makes you fat" is a misconception invented by Ancel Keys in the 1970's and hounded through Congress by carb lobbyists, culminating in 1992 with the Diabetes Pyramid. The books of Gary Taubes have a few things to say about Ancel Keys, none of them flattering.

3. The prof is assuming that you are already low fat, and that you are now cutting carbs in addition to cutting fat. In which case she's right that only protein is left. The Primal idea of replacing carbs with fat doesn't enter her mind.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCypher0 View Post
    Im taking exercise physiology at my university, and I just got out of class and I'm confused..
    My professor made these three points..
    1) The brain can ONLY function on glucose.
    2) High fat and low carb diet makes you gain fat.
    3) Low carbohydrate diets make you use protein for fuel, thus, deteriorating muscle. Again, she says the body stores the fat because its in "starvation mode".
    Guys lets not confuse the issue too much. Take things precisely as they are and address each one.

1) Is false. Using the word ONLY makes it so no matter what side of the debate you fall.
    2) Is false. Could I get a CICO proponent in here to explain this one! There are a million ways this is wrong.
    3) Is not supported by the evidence. Actually the evidence shows that resistance exercise and sufficient protein are the driving factors in retaining lean mass. There is some speculation via human trials that VLC is lean mass sparing, and there is some biochemical speculation (mainly by members of this board) that it is not. So a professor taking a strong stance and teaching just the one hypothetical situation is IMO not doing their job. Then she finishes up with "starvation mode", so you end up gaining fat in a deficit?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-06-2013 at 11:55 AM.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    When I spent my last stint in college, the exercise physiology students had a "senior projects" display in the gym. The one I recall was where volunteers kept a food diary for a period of time and had their body fat measured. People who consumed less fat had higher body fat.
    LOL. Strongest evidence I've ever seen. Let's disregard the fact that overweight people tend to severely under report fat intake.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Ask her about the kids on ketogenic diets

Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Im taking exercise physiology at my university, and I just got out of class and I'm confused..
    3) Low carbohydrate diets make you use protein for fuel, thus, deteriorating muscle. Again, she says the body stores the fat because its in "starvation mode".

Clearly this is 100% against the paleo theme.

Can I get some sound scientific feedback on this please? Ive been paleo for 6+ months, and when I was living at home this summer, I gained about 6 lbs, reaching 150lb. At this time I had more access to food, and I was eating more vegetables and fruit, consuming near 200g carbs/day. Now Im at school and Im eating 100g carbs/day, 150+g protein, and about 130g fat/day. My weight has gone down to 144lb. Am i losing muscle mass or fat? My body composition looks the same, so Im not sure where the weight loss is from. Help me out here because Im frustrated..

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Not an idiot but definitely indoctrinated. If I were you and needed the course do what you need to for the mark but know its just for the mark. Then when you've graduated do some work on trying to change the status quo.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member

Clearly this is 100% against the paleo theme.

Can I get some sound scientific feedback on this please?
    Another possibility is that YOU misunderstood some details that the professor said and misrepresent her views? Just a possibility that happens with students all the time, they get tired in their heads and confused when listening to all that new information...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast