Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Deal With Junk Food at the Office? page

rimam1 is offline Member

How Do You Deal With Junk Food at the Office?

Primal Fuel
    I work in IT at a hospital. My co-workers bring in donuts, cake, and brownies on a weekly basis. Unfortunately I sit right by the table that they put them at.

On top of that, I'm following the "lean gains" style of intermittent fasting where I don't eat until lunch time.

So when the sweets are there , I'm already hungry and end up eating that junk.

I COULD keep some hard boiled eggs on hand... or some apples and almond butter and honey on hand and eat that instead of that crap.

Any other suggestions on dealing with junk food at work?

Thanks!
    Raza
    Here's my journey to getting ripped using intermittent fasting and strength training check it out here...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't eat it.

I attend a weekly breakfast. I have learned to eat my breakfast at home and come to the weekly breakfast with a cup of coffee. Enjoy the folks, not the food. Once in a while someone brings in really good food and then I eat a second breakfast. But usually it's just garbage. Activia, bagels, muffins and stuff. I just don't see that stuff as food anymore. Same goes for the leftover conference foods they put out, the candy and baked goods that make the rounds, the donuts and all the other crap.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

rimam1 is offline Member
    Thanks.

I find that coffee helps curb my hunger too. I just have to pre-empt eating that stuff by having something better on hand at all times
    Here's my journey to getting ripped using intermittent fasting and strength training check it out here...

CaveBug is online now Senior Member
    Change the way you think about it. One of the biggest things that helped me was saying, "I don't" instead of "I can't". Can't makes you feel like you're being deprived, limited. Don't, to me, was more like I made a choice and what you have to offer isn't as important as it.

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    It gets easier after you're paleo for a while. When I initially went paleo I used still want to eat bread/pasta/cake/cookies. Now while it all sounds delicious the urge is not that strong to actually procure it. Cupcakes at work are easy to refuse.

For the meantime, just keep primal food on hand that you LOVE for when you are hungry or snacky. You have to be mentally satiated in addition to physically satiated so you do not feel deprived. Egg salad? Dark chocolate? Primal trail mix? Self-made sweet potato chips? Kefir? Sometimes I eat a KIND bar (not the best choice but at least it is still somewhat Primal) when other people eat junk food.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    don't eat it. tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?

I laugh at all of the fat women as they eat their baked goods and drink soda at 9:30am, then talk about how many points they can have on weight watchers. I've been asked countless times about paleo, primal blueprint, etc. I've given out books and links to websites (only when asked) and tried to be as supportive as possible. but nothing sticks.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

neilyus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveBug View Post
    Change the way you think about it. One of the biggest things that helped me was saying, "I don't" instead of "I can't". Can't makes you feel like you're being deprived, limited. Don't, to me, was more like I made a choice and what you have to offer isn't as important as it.

Sent from....right behind you....
    I use the same technique. I work in an office where people bring in cake every couple of days. I now only get offered out of manners, no one expects me to eat it. I would always say "I don't eat that stuff". Everyone knows cakes and candy are bad, your colleagues included. They should be the ones feeling guilty for eating it, not making you feel bad for saying no.

Sent from my C6603 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    My first job as a librarian I am the boss and sole employee so no problems there. Well I did have problems when the store was open next door, pizza and cake is very tempting. But it burned in a fire a couple months ago and is not re-opening. One board member occasionally brings me a jar of pickles or fresh tomatoes but that is all good.

My second job I work from home.

So a burned down store and a work from home job work for me I guess that does not help 99% of the population though. I guess mostly being prepared would help. I always try and bring plenty of food to work at the library including some kind of "treat" like 90% dark chocolate. I think if you have something on hand that is yummy the office treats won't be so inviting.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    It does get easier. After being paleo/primal for a while you'll find eating those things will give you a horrible stomachache, so they lose their appeal that way too.

This might be bad of me...but when I looked at the people that eat the junk at my office it also kept me from eating it. Eat crap, look like crap. I want to be healthy and thin, so therefore I avoid it. I straight out tell people I don't eat that stuff if I get any grief. After a while, people don't even ask anymore, and will actually tell others that don't know "she doesn't eat that stuff".

jodi29 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    It does get easier. After being paleo/primal for a while you'll find eating those things will give you a horrible stomachache, so they lose their appeal that way too.

This might be bad of me...but when I looked at the people that eat the junk at my office it also kept me from eating it. Eat crap, look like crap. I want to be healthy and thin, so therefore I avoid it. I straight out tell people I don't eat that stuff if I get any grief. After a while, people don't even ask anymore, and will actually tell others that don't know "she doesn't eat that stuff".
    +1

On Monday, my boss brought in two huge boxes of donuts and everyone was walking out of the break room with one. I could see them and smell them but after eating primal for a few months now, they just don't look good, believe it or not. Patience is key

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast