Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Deal With Junk Food at the Office? page 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just keep working on dropping 'food' from your perception of junk food. Just 'junk'. I mean, if they left colorfully colored plastic and rubber pieces, you won't feel like eating them even if they smell nice. Plus, in baked goods, aroma is the best, and you can get it without damaging your health. One I adopted this attitude, I just don't suffer regret of not eating the 'treats'.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I’m surprised no one has touched on the fact that the OP works in a hospital. A hospital! That’s sad. Those people have no excuse for bringing/displaying such junk food. But I know, that’s the way it is in every hospital these days. The last time I was in a hospital (visiting family…otherwise I avoid hospitals and doctor’s offices like the plague) I couldn't help but notice all of the vending machines. They even had an ice cream vending machine.

I don’t eat bad food at work. It’s just a “rule” I made for myself and have been able to stick to. But I don’t sit anywhere near the vending/junk food area. The OP does, and that’s rough. Is there any way they can put the food somewhere else? Will power can only do so much when the stuff is right there in front of you.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I actually put a picture on my office door of the kinds of food I will eat and then I asked the people who like to go around bringing you stuff if they would kindly check the picture before offering. I had to point at the picture several times before they understood. Yesterday one guy said he finally had something on my list: an avocado. Yay!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Is leangains so strict that breakfast is the meal you are required to skip? Can you skip dinner instead? If you skip dinner, at work you'll have a big breakfast in your tummy and a big lunch to look forward to at work, without changing the number of hours that you are in a fasting state. That may help stave off the donut cravings.

Mr. Koozie, the vending machines in hospitals are a tragedy. Who are you likely to find in a hospital? Families of sick and dying patients! They don't want to leave the patient to go to the cafeteria, they have screaming restless kids who (rightfully) sense the awfulness and just want out of there, they are trying to make life or death decisions in the hallway, they are constantly run over by doctors, nurses, jangling machines, other families...they are stressed out beyond belief. It's a junk food exec's wet dream.
    Last edited by oxide; 09-06-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Stacy15;1302607]
    This might be bad of me...but when I looked at the people that eat the junk at my office it also kept me from eating it. Eat crap, look like crap. I want to be healthy and thin, so therefore I avoid it. QUOTE]

And when they try to push the crap on you they always say stuff like "but you're so skinny you can afford it!" Um yeah, think about that just a little more...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Eddoword is offline Junior Member
    Easy! Add value, contribute. Lead by example. Counteract the junk with the clean.

Bring in a few lbs of bacon strips and set them next to the cakes.
    Cook up a beef roast or pulled pork roast and place it next to the donuts.
    Bring some sour cream + seasoning for dip with veggies.
    Set the oranges next to the cookies.
    Whip up some cream and strawberries and set them next to the candy.

When you head to the table, you can easily pick up those foods instead... and who knows, maybe others naturally follow. And when they're curious, you can tell them all about the goodness they're eating too.

Be careful though, you might find the bacon disappearing faster than the cookies leaving none for yourself!!
    Last edited by Eddoword; 09-06-2013 at 05:24 PM.

photocat is offline Member
    I still haven't heard much on how to handle "wanting" to eat vs "being hungry" I'm not convinced paleo/primal solves for that. Willpower is NOT a viable long term solution (if it was, no one would have any addiction issues to anything - food, drugs, alcohol - but I digress) I do agree, with time it does get easier overall but there are still bad days / weak moments. We are human.

That said, my solution has been chewing gum - especially a stronger flavor like cinnamon or peppermint. I'm sure gum isn't considered paleo/primal but whatever but I figure that is far better than downing 3 glazed donuts every morning.

The other thing I do, sans the chewing gum distraction, is ask myself -- will this be worth it? If I'm going to cheat, it better be damn good. I don't want to waste my "cheats" for something mediocre. Many times that alone keeps me from eating the junk.

Sefton is offline Member
    What I do. Walk away.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I stay picky. One tiny chocolate from an assorted chocolates box if the ingredients wouldn't kill a rat, fine. A small cup of free ice cream leftover from some work party, again, if the ingredients are okay, fine. But no grain-based junk, it's not food. People offer it to me, I just tell then I'm allergic to - insert grain food - , they make me break out in fat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I eat it. Most of the time its like a biscuit/chocolate every day or two, so who cares.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast