Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Deal With Junk Food at the Office? page 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's pretty easy. I don't even really notice any more unless there's good fruit or something.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    don't eat it. tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?
    Never been outsmarted by a donut, but I did lose a game of Trivial Pursuit to a French Crueller once.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    I laugh at all of the fat women as they eat their baked goods and drink soda at 9:30am, then talk about how many points they can have on weight watchers. I've been asked countless times about paleo, primal blueprint, etc. I've given out books and links to websites (only when asked) and tried to be as supportive as possible. but nothing sticks.
    It does constantly amaze me how people can recognize success, feel the urge to dig into the mechanism behind it, then go back to the behaviors that made them sick and obese in the first place.

People at my office think I care about the fact that there are donuts/bagels/crumb cakes, despite the fact that they all know I won't touch them. They come to my office and say "There are _________ (terrible pastries) down the hall, but I know you won't eat them"

Um, thanks for telling me, I guess...?

Heliotrope is offline Member
    This is a non-issue for me. The "goodies" are not an option and not tempting. There's a spot just outside my office where the free-to-share snacks are perched, and I don't give it a thought. Except for this: When I hear the footsteps outside, the rustling, the crinkling of the cellophane going on, I recognize the sounds of a food addiction, because I used to be that way!

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Never been outsmarted by a donut, but I did lose a game of Trivial Pursuit to a French Crueller once.
    never trust the french
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post
    Thanks.

I find that coffee helps curb my hunger too. I just have to pre-empt eating that stuff by having something better on hand at all times
    Why are you hungry? You should not be hungry. Even if you are intermittent fasting, you should not be hungry. If you are truly hungry you should eat a meal of healthy food.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    It does constantly amaze me how people can recognize success, feel the urge to dig into the mechanism behind it, then go back to the behaviors that made them sick and obese in the first place.
    I guess perhaps you do not recognize food addiction or compulsive overeating. And perhaps you have never been one for whom the only way to lose weight was to go on a starvation diet while doing unsustainable levels of exercise. After a while, it's just not worth it to care that much anymore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mouse is offline Member
    The nice thing about telling your co-workers consistently that you don't eat that sort of thing is that if you DO eat it, they will call you in it. I broke down and had a very sugary, very bad tasting cookie in the break room at work about a year ago, and one of my co-workers gave me a very puzzled look and said, "I though you didn't eat that stuff?" That incident has kept me from snagging a stray brownie or cookie in the break room ever since.

Of course, I also try to just avoid being around the food, and it only looks even remotely tempting if I'm really hungry and close to that time of the month. Being Primal for a few years cuts the temptation down a LOT.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I eat it if I want it. I find it easy to pass on cookies and cheap processed baked goods. I have no interest in stuff like bagels. But if someone brings in something and I'm like DAMN (chocolate croissants from the French bakery or eclairs), I'll eat it and call it my 20%. It's pretty rare that someone brings those in. Once in a while, my coworker will bring me one and if I don't really want it, I'll "eat it later" and take it home to my SO.

For the record, I was a major sweet tooth pre-primal. I would definitely have indulged in the crappy weird sweets from the grocery every time. I genuinely enjoy the occasional baked good now, without guilt. I consider it a victory that every so often I can enjoy a treat, not feel guilty and know that I won't want another one for a couple of weeks.

YMMV. I abstained for a long time before I had a sweet when I started Primal. I remember it well. I had a cupcake and the cake was dry and the icing was sickly sweet and I was like WTF???? This sucks! Pretty much the only sweets I indulge in are from a French bakery, heavy on butter and eggs, and not super sweet. Occasionally I have dessert out at restaurants, but if it is too sugary, I just don't eat it. My palette has definitely changed.

But yeah, office sweets can be a pain in the ass when someone is insulted when you don't when their crappy Entemann's shit or "world famous Reese's Cookies" or from a box brownies. My advice to keep the piece is to take one for later and drop it in the trash.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Fenduh is offline Junior Member
    I just don't eat them. Donuts and bagels actually make me feel bloated and crappy so it's easy to not eat them.

That being said when my wife makes chocolate chip cookies for my son in college I will indulge in a couple and then pack the rest up and get them out of the house.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya, somewhat. I'm at least lucky that my co-workers don't bring in sweets very often, so I just splurge a little on the rare occasion that they do.

My problem is the vending machine (when I happen to have cash on me) where the chocolate bars are only $0.35 and, worse, the coffee machine that also dispenses hot chocolate, which is free and just a short walk from my desk. Whenever I get stressed out, I immediately start thinking about that hot chocolate, or at least the coffee. I figure coffee isn't TOO bad of a crutch once in awhile, but it doesn't seem like enough sometimes. Hell, between bouts of typing this, I'm sipping on a frothy mocha--god only knows what's in it, but, unfortunately, it's delicious XD

Yeah, I'm no help, just venting =P
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    For me, it's easy to pass on junk at work. First of all, I'm a germ-ophobe, and seeing the way people get their hands all over food grosses me out. Secondly, I take a gander at the folks feeding at the proverbial trough and think, "Do I want to look like them? No thanks."

I understand it's probably more challenging if the food is within sight, reach, and smell, but be strong and resisiting will become second nature. Not even entertaining thoughts of, "Should I, or shouldn't I?" also helps. Make it a non-negotiable - you will NOT eat (fill in the blank), and that's final.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast