Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attack of the cucumbers! page 3

Jimm is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Split 4 cukes in half and drop them into boiling water for 5 minutes then take them out to cool.

Saute 1/2 cup onions and 2 tbsp parsley for 5 minutes, then add a couple of chopped cloves of garlic, mushrooms, 1Tbsp Worchester, 1/2 cup bread crumbs (and any spices you like-I add cayenne) and 1/2 l.b of shrimp But really, you can add anything you like- sausage instead of shrimp, no meat, whatever.

Then scoop out the pulp from the cooled cucumbers (I do this with a melon baller into a colander and save the liquid that squeezes out of the pulp).
    Mix the pulp in with all of the other stuff until homogeneous and refill the cucumbers. Place them in a casserole dish. into the bottom of the dish, pour 1/2 cup of the liquid you got from the pulp and add 1/2 cup white wine. Sprinkle with Romano cheese and bake at 350 for an hour covered.

You can use this basic formula for any veggie. I've even done onions and tomatoes.

This is all from good ol' Justin Wilson.

Jimm is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SherryLRogers255 View Post
    Everyone is forgetting the best way hands down to use cucumber. As a cocktail ingredient!
    Cool. slice thin.
    Add to Hendricks Gin over ice along with pink rose petals.

Done.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    You can use cucumber through all sorts of salad.
    This is my favorite:
    - mixed lettuce
    - half a cucumber in small pieces.
    - handfull of nuts
    - grilled chicken or ham (in small pieces)
    - a bit of good italian cheese
    - dressing of choice.
    - shredded carrot
    - shredded bacon

I have it for lunch at least once a week but you can easily variate of add what ever you like to it.
    We have added pineapple, raisins, etc...

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Simple, but delicious snack idea.

Step 1
    Open a jar of organic peanut butter.

Step 2
    Dip the cucumber in the jar and scoop out a generous amount of butter.

Step 3
    This is a bit tricky. With experience, you will know the right size of the bite to get the creamy/crunchy peanut butter and cool cucumber into the bite.
    So try it.

Word has it that if you do this exercise with your boyfriend this usually results in a good full body work out.
    Few but ripe.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Ragout of Cucumber

Neil Cooks Grigson: #172 Cucumber Ragout

I used to have a simple recipe for a cucumber ragout by Hannah Glasse - 18th century English cook. It was basically an onion chopped and sweated in butter, half a cucumber chopped into dice and added to the onion, sweated for perhaps 10 minutes, then a tablespoon of chicken stock added to just keep it moist. Simmer gently until the cucumber is softening slightly (add more stock if it is drying out). When it is easily pierced by the tip of a knife, add salt, pepper, a desert spoon of chopped dill (I use a teaspoon of dried dill) and just enough double (heavy) cream to make a sauce. Heat through and serve. It is delicious.

Most of the early recipes I have seen and used are rather imprecise, as the one above, but great fun to try and this one is really good. Superb with roast shoulder of lamb...

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you sell them to an organic market stall?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123