Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer term cardio (3 hours+); is plain water good enough for performance? page

AMonkey is offline Senior Member

Longer term cardio (3 hours+); is plain water good enough for performance?

Primal Fuel
    I was hoping some of you cardio nuts could help me with this problem.
    I'm doing Muay Thai 3 times a week, for around 3 hours per session. I'm drinking plain water to keep me hydrated but around the 1.5 hour mark I really start to crave soda, sweet food and salt. I'm assuming its because at this point, my body is starting to become deficient in salt/glycogen, so it wants to replace it.
    After training yesterday, all I could think about was some stuffing myself with jello and fruit which was in the house. Under normal circumstances I never get sugar cravings.

So is sticking with plain water fine, or should I spend the $0.75 on the sports drinks in a nearby vending machine, or simply make my own salt/sugar mix?
    Last edited by AMonkey; 09-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I can't answer your actual question, but I would try to avoid the branded electrolyte drinks. There is some scary crap that they put in there to keep those colors so bright!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

laurathegoth is offline Member
    Coconut water is high in electrolytes and great instead of commercial drinks. Obviously it is sugary, but not added fake sugar, probably worth trying. It's my "sports drink" of choice if I'm out on a long hill walk (3+ hours)

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    If performance is your goal, then you have to fuel your activity. For athletes who are training at a high level and intensity, it is recommended to intake CHO and electrolytes if activity exceeds 90min.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    When I used to run longer distances, sports drinks made me very vomity. They also feature crap like HFCS.
    I ended up taking electrolyte pills and Hammergels, from Hammer Nutrition. Hammer Gel - Carbohydrate Energy Gel | Hammer Nutrition

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Sounds to me, at least, you could do with a banana or 2 mid session. Sports drinks are over priced bottles of unpronounceables that serve very little else that a banana or coconut water can't fix. Personally, I run LSD so i utilize more fat than what I would imagine you do, so i use up very little of CHO and electrolytes, thus i can just do water
    Do you eat before you start training?

neilyus is offline Junior Member
    You'll need more than just water. Water is fine for an hour or so, but after that you need fuel.
    I don't exercise for any longer than an hour, so can't comment on a paleo solution. But when I swam when I was younger I used Isotonic and Hypotonic powders in my bottle. Things like Isostar.
    There is science behind it, if I were you id do the research. Bound to be plenty online, once you've got the facts you can decide on a Paleo solution.

Sent from my C6603 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I like the Vega products, and eating maybe a banana or orange slices. Too much solid food doesn't help. Vega has a pre-performance drink, a recovery drink and also protein drinks and endurance gels if you need something during.

Zach is offline Banned
    Dilute some orange juice 1:1 or so with water and add in a few pinches of salt, you could add in a oinch of baking soda as well. Sip this throughout your session. I bet you will feel way better.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    I will second the coconut water or orange juice with water. I also do muay thai (not three hours straight). When I do 2 hours I typically bring in water that is half coconut water. You also might want to bring something light that you can eat quickly. A banana .. dates, dried fruit. When you are working out hard for this long some carbs/sugar will be your friend. Dates are probably the best since they are dense in calories and won't drag you down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast