Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longer term cardio (3 hours+); is plain water good enough for performance? page 2

bazzz is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Try resisting the urge to take anything on. The body can go for a lot longer than you think without needing fuel. The more you practice this, the better you'll get at it. For example, last Sunday I ran 36 km (22 miles) first thing in the morning, with no breakfast. I ran non-stop and didn't take on any fuel or water until after I'd finished. I was pretty hungry and thirsty by the end of it, but not debilitatingly so.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzz View Post
    Try resisting the urge to take anything on. The body can go for a lot longer than you think without needing fuel. The more you practice this, the better you'll get at it. For example, last Sunday I ran 36 km (22 miles) first thing in the morning, with no breakfast. I ran non-stop and didn't take on any fuel or water until after I'd finished. I was pretty hungry and thirsty by the end of it, but not debilitatingly so.
    Running (jogging? Whats your average mile?) is not the same thing as muay thai. They use different systems. Glucose is definitely necessary for intense anaerobic sessions, especially a few hours of it.

bazzz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Running (jogging? Whats your average mile?) is not the same thing as muay thai. They use different systems. Glucose is definitely necessary for intense anaerobic sessions, especially a few hours of it.
    4:26 min/km, which is apparently 7:09 min/mile. I don't run with a HR monitor, but it was fairly intense and somewhat hilly. I've done less intense runs of over five hours with no fuel (but some water). I think most people can do this if they really want to. It sort of makes sense from an evolutionary perspective as we probably weren't taking on Gatorade while hunting gazelles or whatever.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    4:26 min/km, which is apparently 7:09 min/mile. I don't run with a HR monitor, but it was fairly intense and somewhat hilly. I've done less intense runs of over five hours with no fuel (but some water). I think most people can do this if they really want to. It sort of makes sense from an evolutionary perspective as we probably weren't taking on Gatorade while hunting gazelles or whatever.
    I second this. Did four hours today LSD, admittedly consuming a total of 250ish kcal, most before, over a hell of a lot of hilly trails with just water. It is possible, although i am a slight frames individual, and would therefore need less to maintain.
    I would argue that humans, even muscular healthy ones, are still too big to be primal, since modern conveniences and a readily available sources of protein allow such growth to happens.. Show me a hench hunter gatherer, and i'll eat my hat. Off topic, but that's just my opinion.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I'm not entirely convinced its worthwhile to force myself to adapt, when it means suboptimal performance until I adjust. At the 2 hour+ mark my ability do cardio dies, I'm at like 60% efficiency.
    Anyway I'll look into mixing some fruit juice with salt, thanks guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12