Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Coconut Oil as Lotion page

Mel
    Mel is offline Member

Using Coconut Oil as Lotion

So, I've worked as a chemist in a pharmaceutical company for quite awhile now and I'm not sure why it didn't dawn on me sooner, but I really want to stop using commercial lotions and shampoos with all of the nasty additives (parabens, etc). I have a local source where I can get homemade shampoo until I get set up to make it myself. Also, I am hoping to start using coconut oil as lotion, but I have a few questions:

1. I don't really have a problem paying the $$ for coconut oil to eat, but for some reason I have a hard time dishing out that much cash for lotion. Is there a place where everyone orders it from that's less expensive than the store? Where I live it's about $8-10 for a 14oz jar.

2. How do I put it on? Just dip into the jar and get a glob of it on my fingers and then rub it in?

3. Does it stay greasy on your skin?

4. Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before putting clothes on so I don't get grease stains on my clothes?

5. I've already noticed that my skin is less dry simply by adding all of the fats into my diet - but I always put lotion on at least 2x a day on my whole body and on my hands after every time I wash them (which is often working in a laboratory). How many times a day/week should I be lotioning up?
    A goal without a plan is just a wish.

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Standing by, I'm interested in info for this topic as well.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I started using virgin coconut oil last week after a prety bad sun burn. My skin recovered quickly. If its warm enough, the oil is liquid in the jar, if not just scoop some out and once on your skin it will melt instantly. I put it on pretty heavy and massaged it in and it left me shiny for a little bit, but i didnt feel greasy and it seemed to absorb into the skin rather quickly. I put clothes on right away and only on one very thin underarmour type shirt did i see oil soak through, but it didnt stain.

Give it a try, you'll like it.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil on my skin and LOVE it!
    it is very simple, get a little glob in your hand rub hands together so it melts and rub on.....it does soak right in and does not leave a greasy feel at all, it leaves you skin feeling rich, soft & supple. And it smells awesome!

Mel
    Mel is offline Member
    Do you use the same quality of coconut oil for lotion as you do for eating?

maba is offline Senior Member
    I started using coconut oil as a moisturizer around the time I turned primal, about a year ago. And have stopped using commercial moisturizers since then. I just use whatever I use for cooking. I take some in a small jar and keep it in the bathroom. Since it spreads so easily, I find I don't even need much to moisturize my body. My primary concern was taht it would make my clothese greasy but really, I haven't noticed it to be a problem. The oil gets absorbed by the skin easily unlike, say, olive oil. I use Tropical Traditions and Nutiva. Personally, I like the flavor of Nutiva better than TT but both are equally good. I heard here on the forum that you can get a gallon of Nutiva CO on their website for under $50. You might want to check out the site. I get the 54 oz jar from my co-op for $29. Next time, I should buy the 1 gallon jar from their website.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    1. Amazon has it for pretty cheap - I'm lucky I can get it from our awesome farmers market here in bulk.
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. I don't wait more than 5 minutes or so
    5. It's usually part of my routine after I get out of the shower, but I don't stress if I forget

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Yes, I use Spectrum raw organic. You really don't put that much on your skin.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    It all comes out of the same tub for me - I just keep smaller jars of it here and there and refill as necessary.

If it does get on your clothes, it'll come out with hot water/soap. It's not as stubborn as some other oils/fats.

Mel
    Mel is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you everyone for all of your help!

I'm putting my foot down today - no more store bought crud-filled lotion! Now I just have to figure out what to do with all of the lotion I have all over the house!

ooooo.. I thought of one more question. Do you use little containers for like your purse? I was thinking I have plenty of small jelly canning jars and they would be perfect for in the bathroom, etc, but might be a little large for the purse or backpack.

Ideas?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast