Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Coconut Oil as Lotion page 2

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Thank you everyone for all of your help!

I'm putting my foot down today - no more store bought crud-filled lotion! Now I just have to figure out what to do with all of the lotion I have all over the house!

ooooo.. I thought of one more question. Do you use little containers for like your purse? I was thinking I have plenty of small jelly canning jars and they would be perfect for in the bathroom, etc, but might be a little large for the purse or backpack.

Ideas?
    I use an old Burt's Bees jar. But whatever you use, make sure you put a ziploc around it. Seriously.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    empty out some old lotion container and fill it with coconut oil?

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Any advice for when it's in liquid form? No air conditioning in my house yet

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I have been using coconut oil for a number of months. Hair, body, face, ummm...for sexual purposes, cooking, sometimes the animals even get some. Nutiva's web-site is the best price I have found as someone else mentioned. I bought a gallon last time 49.99 and free shipping. It has lasted a while and I use it alot. Oh in the the bath water is really nice also.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    How long do you smell coconut-ty after using it as lotion? I love the idea, but DH doesn't particularly care for coconut (sacrilege, I know!) so I don't want to be smelling like coconut all day.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I can't say I really notice smelling like coconut, but I guess I am used to it. No one has ever said anything though.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I love using coconut oil, mostly for my face, but I do use it full body at times. I have to say I'm basically lazy when it comes to applying lotion all over. I think that I generally don't need to because my diet has so much fat and no more of the icky stuff that caused skin problems.

Transporting can be an issue... ditto on the ziploc. It's hard to keep oils contained, and in a purse that can be dangerous! I would maybe just take a small jar to leave at work, where it seems the majority of your handwashing occurs! If you have some at work and at home I really don't think you'll need to have it with you at all times...

Luckily my hubs loves the smell of coconut (reminds him of the beach and he loves the sun and sand)!

And yes... coconut oil works very well as a lubricant. It's also anti-bacterial :-)
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    If you have some at work and at home I really don't think you'll need to have it with you at all times...
    This. I keep a small jar at work. I don't carry it around. If I go out of town, I use the jar and put it in a ziploc to avoid any unfortunate heat accidents.

The only one who notices I smell like coconut is my dog.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I make my own bath and body stuff, professionally, so I'll chime in.

A good source for coconut oil, cosmetic grade is Magestic Mountain Sage. I've dealt with them before and they are a reputable company. As I'm in Canada I have a canadian supplier for the heavier oils like this, but I've bought other things from them and they have an excellent reputation among soapers.

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

As for the melting issue, best bet is to blend it with another more solid oil, say cocoa butter. I would also add a starch to it as well, something like arrow root powder as it helps to cut the greasies.

You can also blend arrow root powder and coconut oil together to make a paste and use that as deodorant.

Oh, and I also make shampoo bars, BEST thing ever. LOL!

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm still working on getting the right balance to use on my face. Seems like it always leaves me greasy, then gets into my hair and makes that greasy as well. So I tend to use it more often at night when it doesn't really matter. I haven't noticed any staining on my clothes from using it. And I don't notice a coconut smell either, but maybe I am just used to it. I use Nutiva, and found it at vitaminshoppe.com, $21 for 54 oz. Also, I second that it makes a great massage oil and lubricant, seriously, try it.....awesome! Look at it as multitasking.....you're moisturing your body and having some fun!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast