Thread: Canadian asks: Dairy, coffee throwing off my weight loss? Lack of water? page

Marlene is offline Junior Member

Canadian asks: Dairy, coffee throwing off my weight loss? Lack of water?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

I have been paleo for a month. I weighed myself at week 2 and at week 3 and had lost 4 pounds in that week, which was great. I haven't weighed myself at week 4 because I don't feel thinner. In fact, I feel bloated. I'm wondering if eating cheese and having cream in my coffee could be slowing me down. Also, I drink a cup or two of coffee in the mornings. Other than that, I'm doing great... Eggs, veggies, bacon, meat, fish, coconut oil and coconut vinegar, Primal Fuel, 1/4 cup of nuts (why are there carbs in nuts???), and am keeping carbs under 100 (sometimes I have 50 and save the other 50 for a couple of drinks. Like, on the weekend. By the way, my drinks are a shot of vodka in club soda with a splash of juice.)

I don't drink much water. Maybe that's what's slowing me down?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

Marlene in Vancouver
    Last edited by Marlene; 09-05-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    I did not lose any weight except 4 pounds of water until I gave up dairy over a year ago. At that time I was eating yogurt and cheese. Once I gave it up, I slowly lost 20 more pounds over the course of a year. All that time, I was still using heavy whipping cream in my coffee. About a month ago, I gave up the HWC also.

I gave up the dairy very reluctantly after reading several comments on this board. I did not want to do it, but I got great results when I tried it "as a short-term experiment". Not only did the weight start to drop, but several mystery rashes also disappeared.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Marlene is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, Jennifla. I guess I'll try to give up the dairy... I think I feel a bit funny in the tummy whenever I have the yoghurt anyways. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
    Hi there,

I have been paleo for a month. I weighed myself at week 2 and at week 3 and had lost 4 pounds in that week, which was great. I haven't weighed myself at week 4 because I don't feel thinner. In fact, I feel bloated. I'm wondering if eating cheese and having cream in my coffee could be slowing me down. Also, I drink a cup or two of coffee in the mornings. Other than that, I'm doing great... Eggs, veggies, bacon, meat, fish, coconut oil and coconut vinegar, Primal Fuel, 1/4 cup of nuts (why are there carbs in nuts???), and am keeping carbs under 100 (sometimes I have 50 and save the other 50 for a couple of drinks. Like, on the weekend. By the way, my drinks are a shot of vodka in club soda with a splash of juice.)

I don't drink much water. Maybe that's what's slowing me down?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!

Marlene in Vancouver
    There's not quite enough information here for us to take very educated guesses. What's your total food intake look like? Can you walk us through a couple typical days of food?

Nuts are a tough issue for a lot of people. They're extremely energy-dense and not that satiating. I'd try cutting that out before the dairy, but if you don't tolerate dairy, the only way to find out is by doing an elimination protocol. It's definitely common.

What is it you're calling "coffee?" Are you talking about a hot beverage full of sugar, hydrogenated & artificially-flavored creamers or just black coffee? I don't think the actual coffee itself is a likely culprit.

Like I said, way too little info to go on. Hope you figure it out though. We're happy to take random guesses from our side of the internet.