Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many calories do YOU eat? page 2

prufock is offline Member
    I'm a man, 6' tall, 190 lb, 16.4% body fat. I'm not strict about my calories, and I don't count them. I DID count them for one week back in April just out of curiosity. On rest days, I eat anywhere from 2000-2400. On gym days I can eat upwards of 3500 or more. I guess it depends on your goals. My goals are basically twofold: look better naked and lift heavier things. The two goals kind of clash a bit, since I'd like to shed some fat and get leaner, but lifting heavy requires me to bulk (which would ideally be muscle, not fat).

When I first tried the primal thing, I didn't lose much weight in the first month, but dropped 5 or 10 lbs in the second month. Since then I've been doing protein shakes and stuff to try to bulk a little more and my weight has rebounded a bit. I usually vary between 180 and 190 anyway.

little12 is offline Member
    Neckhammer---I need to do some research on "refeeds". I don't think I fully understand them and how to apply them in a beneficial way. BUT, I do think it might be something smart to add in every so often. Like you said, to break plateaus. To me, it seems a little like the same concept as IF only the other direction.

I do know that if I were moving more and lifting more, I should be eating more. BUT, since i'm not doing that quite yet (or not regularly enough), I don't want to be eating that way. It is what I want to get to though.

Joanie---I'm somewhat charting unknown waters right now. I was at my "ideal" weight in college a decade ago...but there was def nothing ideal about the way I was living!!! Haha, it was college! Pizza...beer...shots...long spurts of no food and then lots of junk. Not healthy. So what i'm doing now and where i'm going is constantly changing into the "healthiest I've been as an adult" if that makes sense. Not going to lie though, if I could be my ideal weight on pizza and beer (and if those things were magically healthy and wouldn't kill me) then I TOTALLY would! HA

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing some calorie cycling, so 1850 on rest days 2350 on training days, this is geared to fat loss, not bulking. When I hit my bf goal, I'll probably maintain on 2400ish. Male 6'2" 45 old 79 kg 13% bf

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    At first, no counting, dropped 200lbs without it while eating VLC. Last 6 months, no counting but higher carbohydrate intake to fuel athletic performance (200G carb/day easily), and have easily maintained weight eating pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted to.

Now, I'm actually trying to cut weight again, and doing so while counting calories. Been going pretty good last 2 weeks eating 2100 cals and getting in my usual workouts (between 1-2 hours m-f) dropped 7lbs (though I know a bunch is water weight) eating pretty much a 33/33/33 split.

edit: 6'1.5" 225lb 29yo male here.
    Last edited by WeldingHank; 09-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have been experimenting with the 5:2 fasting regimen. I eat about 2500 on regular days, pretty high carb, moderate protein and moderate fat. I eat only 600 calories on the other two days, basically low fat, low carb, high protein.

I have had success cutting some fat I put on using this technique. I like it better than IF every day for 16 hours or whatever. Two days is much easier to handle, and the other 5 days allows me to really eat us much as I want.

little12 is offline Member
    I've tried IF a few times, but only on days when I decide to sleep in By the time I get up, I have my coffee and think "meh, I'll just wait till lunch". If I'm awake and going, then I need breakfast. It's more like convenience IF I guess.

john--I've read some things on doing something similar. They'll do one or two days that are mostly protein and low carb and low fat, or as low as you can. Similar thinking to the refeeds I guess in terms of keeping your body guessing a bit?? It seems like eating the same amounts every single day is the part that sets your body into some hardcore path. So maybe that's the key...to keep it guessing a little more than that.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    2000+ish for the last few months on animal parts and eggs. Doing the potato hack for 5-7 days so eating 1000ish calories right now. I am relatively active (Strength training) and a 5'9" athletic-figured, curvy female.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little12 View Post
    I've tried IF a few times, but only on days when I decide to sleep in By the time I get up, I have my coffee and think "meh, I'll just wait till lunch". If I'm awake and going, then I need breakfast. It's more like convenience IF I guess.

john--I've read some things on doing something similar. They'll do one or two days that are mostly protein and low carb and low fat, or as low as you can. Similar thinking to the refeeds I guess in terms of keeping your body guessing a bit?? It seems like eating the same amounts every single day is the part that sets your body into some hardcore path. So maybe that's the key...to keep it guessing a little more than that.
    That's what I am starting to think. I have done a lot of experimenting since being primal/paleo over the past 3 years. So far, this 5:2 method works well since I can use the 2 days of fasting on Tuesday and Thursday, leaving the weekend for being able to eat normally without interfering with family dinners and outings, etc. I am sure my body goes into shock when I go from 2500 calories one day to 600 the next, then back to 2500, so that probably does keep it guessing.

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    I eat 600 cals at lunch, then 1-2 meals in the evening, 1200 cal meal on rest days and a whopping 1700 on training days, but often spilt that one in two. I do 180g protein every day regardless. It's a great way to eat and even on a rest day 1200 cal evening meal seems like a feast

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    5'5, 132lbs

Maintenance is roughly 2300kcal, eating 2650 to bulk... but I'm thinking I might need to up that. Seriously, I think my body is being a dick and raising the bar or something - I haven't gained in quite awhile. So, yes I'm maintaining on 2650 right now. Now I have o eat more :'( Woe to my wallet

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast