Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girls only! Aunt Flo issues? page

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member

Girls only! Aunt Flo issues?

Shop Now
    Baby is 10 months old, and I just started my cycle again. Wasn't expecting it, as with my other two, it didn't start til they were both 12 months old. I'm kinda out of the loop with monthly cycles since I only had two between child #2 and #3.

Anyhow, it feels like I've been flogged on my back and then run over by a steam roller. So much pain and soreness. I know this cycle will be a doozy, since it's the first one in a long time.

What foods will help ease the pain and or flow? I'm assuming more iron would be good b/c of the amount of flow. Anything else?

This may also be TMI, but what products do you use for your cycle?
    Conventional pads = stinky, nasty, gross, chemicals
    Tampons = way too drying, too many nasty chemicals
    Cloth Pads = ok, but feel like a diaper, not a fan of pads
    Diva Cup = used to be awesome, but since three vaginal births of enormous kids, it literally falls out after 5mins

I've heard of sea sponges like these. Anyone use those? I might give them a shot since I'm running out of ideas that will work.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    They make different sized menstrual cups, so if a Diva Cup doesn't work, there are other options. Getting your pelvic floor muscles back into shape will probably help a bit too Check out the livejournal community for more info on different cup styles & brands. Menstrual Cups - Divacup, Mooncup, Instead, Lunette, Miacup

I do wear cloths pads & use menstrual cups (both disposable and reusable). I've never felt like cloth pads "felt like a diaper", but maybe it's just the style I have. I bought my favorites through an Etsy store. CPop Commodities by Popples on Etsy
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i don't know any foods that will ease the pain or flow once it's there, but when my everything goes to hell a heating pad and advil do wonders

advil slows and stops my period for a day so i try not to take it unless i really need it, but that's back issue from hormonal issues causing me not to have a period for years at a time

my least painful periods were when i ate a lot of red meat, eggs and sweet potatoes

cloth pads for light flow, conventional pads for heavier flow (paranoid about bleeding through), tampons for when i don't want to deal with the mess and cups for when i don't want to wear pads
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    I think staying hydrated is supposed to help with cramping too. And sometimes caffeine helps me?

Goal: Feel good, be active!

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Sugar = heavy flow for me. I can't give you any other tips than that I'm afraid :P

randomcapitals is offline Senior Member
    Diva Cup = used to be awesome, but since three vaginal births of enormous kids, it literally falls out after 5mins
    I had four vaginal births in four years and I so hear you on pushing out the Diva Cup without even trying. As namelesswonder suggests try a different size. I use a keeper in "I've had a vaginal delivery" size and it's great. From what I can remember it did take a while before I could wear it without trying to push it out but things settled down eventually.
    As for pain you could try good old fashioned hot water bottle and see if it helps.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    There have been studies that a high calcium diet can improve menstrual symptoms. I don't know if that helps after you've started though.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    A strict Paleo diet and taking Vitex got rid of my unbearable monthly menstrual cramps.

No wheat, sugar or dairy for me

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    I use the Seventh Generation pads. They have less chemicals and I have a lot less irritation with them. I switched to them before I changed my diet, and that seemed to improve my cramping. I really should get into using reusable pads, but I just don't want to have to wash them! Ick! (I've never used tampons, so I really don't care to try a luna cup thing...)

As for heaviness and cramping in my cycle, the cleaner I eat, the less there is. Cutting out processed foods did wonders (bye-bye cramps), cutting out all but sprouted grains helped a ton (18-28 day cycle became a 25-28 day cycle), and getting rid of starches and gluten got my cycle to a consistent 28 days with only 3-5 days of bleeding (versus 7 days). I also have Polycystic ovaries, so I don't know how that changes things for me vs. you. I do know that every time I cheated (i.e. used my 20% by eating a cupcake at work, etc), my period was worse. Eating liver and heart probably helped, too, since I'm slightly anemic. I hear magnesium helps with cramping, so maybe supplement or eat more bone broth? Drinking enough water also seems to help!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Aldergirl, with cloth pads, you can rinse them by hand, or just dump them in a bucket of water. Change out the water daily until you're ready to toss some in with laundry and they'll clean up fine. I sometimes just put mine in a wet bag (lined with the same stuff as diaper bags) and toss them in the wash. They always come out clean. I sprinkle a little tea tree oil in so it doesn't get stinky.

That's good to know those pads are nice though. I should buy a pack to have on hand for guests or travel.

Vitex improved my PMS, including cramping, but it wasn't ever very bad. I took it for low progesterone.
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast