Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jakejoh & Derp, come 'ere! I want to pick your brains... page 2

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    You rang? My wacko stuff is staright out of Mark's book. I'm basing the age argument on many of the Success Stories that pass through MDA's... lots of guys who grew up on pretzels and beer and lo, 20 years later they find Primal and lose that 20-30 pounds. That said, there probably are people who are more carb tolerant than others. You may yet escape.

And a young male shouldn't be telling a woman what to do, on ANY subject.
    Interesting that you would think I was talking about you. Well, you finally got something right.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    You rang? My wacko stuff is staright out of Mark's book. I'm basing the age argument on many of the Success Stories that pass through MDA's... lots of guys who grew up on pretzels and beer and lo, 20 years later they find Primal and lose that 20-30 pounds. That said, there probably are people who are more carb tolerant than others. You may yet escape.

This is what happens when maniacal people preach stuff out of a fiction book.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Why not? Young people are known for wasting their precious time anyway...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    I too have been meaning to ask these guys questions, as I also find it interesting. I've been reading Zach/derp's logs, and Jake's blog (particularly interesting post about sugar).

Not to hijack this, but I thought I'd ask two questions to go along with Allenete's:

1. Ray Peat's articles are interesting, but very heavy-- particularly if you aren't versed in human physiology. To understand the principles better, what other resource(s) would you recommend to a simpleton such as my self? The Peat Whisper by Roddy seems like a decent resource, but is 85 pages worth $50?

and

2. Similar to a post Mark did a few months ago, if you had to live on a desert island with just 10 foods for the rest of your life, what would they be?
    Andre kim and Phil from Pranarupa are both very interesting.

Ten foods is too many, i probably dont get that variety now, haha. If i didnt give a shit about being healthy, my choices would be different but heres my ten for health.

1. Milk
    2. Oranges
    3. Coffee
    4. Cane sugar
    5. Gelatin
    6. Grapes
    7. Gouda
    8. Salt
    9. Oysters
    10. Liver

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    What do you guys think of liver tablets, are they at all replaceable for eating liver?

Also, a lot of the peat forums discusses taking prescription thyroid medications, and ways to convince your doctor you need some. Is that at all necessary?

Balance is online now Senior Member
    This is a thread I will be following. Great posts by Jake, Derp and Zach. I can attest to doing a Paleo style diet for a long period of time (Over 5 1/2 years) while incorporating various forms of exercise and organized sports. I have never been overweight and haven't needed to lose weight my whole life as far as I can remember. While consistently maintaining a strict diet on 125-175g of carbs per day I found it harder to keep up with my exercise regimen. Without a weekly reefed I would feel drained with a piss poor attitude. Over the last month or so I have increased my carb intake mainly from sugary fruits and I am already seeing the benefits. My workouts are improving again, I feel stronger and less achy, but the main benefit I am seeing is a better overall mood and calmness. The main reason I started a paleo diet was to reduce my allergy symptoms and relieve myself of IBS and GERD. Paleo helped with that tremendously probably because I reduced the gluten and PUFA. Increasing the carbs made no difference and I still feel great. If anything I feel better as I am even more aware of the role PUFA plays with my body. I think some people unfairly put carbs from crappy sources in the same category as carbs from fruits/potatoes/rice. Like Zach mentioned, most cultures outside of the US have thrived for a very long time with carbs as their main source of calories.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Favorite Ten Foods (in no particular order) :

1. Prunes
    2. Sweet potatoes
    3. Coffee
    4. White sugar
    5. Oatmeal
    6. Oranges
    7. Milk
    8. Cottage Cheese
    9. Steak
    10. Greek yogurt
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I'm not on a PC right no so quoting and saying everything I want is difficult!

So random question:

I've heard that women in general do not do so well on high carb as men do (I'm assuming active people, here) and that while men predominantly turn to carb burning during workouts, women turn to fat burning. According to Kiefer.

My logic is asking: how does that work, since women's bodies fight to RETAIN fat?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I dunno... Choco eats a lot of fruit, but he seems to prefer starches as his source of carbs to sugars (like Derp and Jake and Zach). Also, he eats WAY less than any of them do (on a sliding scale comparison at least) so I'm not sure if he would exactly qualify as being "on the same team." Nor am I convinced he'd WANT to be on their team anyway, as "independent-minded" as he seems to me.

He can comment on that one though, not me!

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    What do you guys think of liver tablets, are they at all replaceable for eating liver?

Also, a lot of the peat forums discusses taking prescription thyroid medications, and ways to convince your doctor you need some. Is that at all necessary?
    I would say no, they dont compare. If its the taste thats the problem, you really dont need to eat much to see benefits. A few ounces a week is plenty. I cant stand oysters but i still down 3 tins a week.

Depends on if you have hypothyroid issues. I think in the past people got some extra thyroid from the foods they ate and of course they wernt bombarded with thyroid inhibiting pollutants. Taking a bit of t3 or desiccated thyroid could really help and its probably pretty natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    I'm not on a PC right no so quoting and saying everything I want is difficult!

So random question:

I've heard that women in general do not do so well on high carb as men do (I'm assuming active people, here) and that while men predominantly turn to carb burning during workouts, women turn to fat burning. According to Kiefer.

My logic is asking: how does that work, since women's bodies fight to RETAIN fat?
    I have never really heard that. I dont believe women are that different then men in that respect. Sure our hormones are different so you have to take some things into consideration but overall, women seem to do great on a high carb diet. The ones that dont most likely have metabolism and hormone issues from years of eating disorders and semi starvation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast