Thread: Rock climbing? page

btownshreds is offline Senior Member

Rock climbing?

Shop Now
    I just went to a local gym here in ca, and I have to say, it was super fun but so hard!!!

Most rock climbers I see are twigs...but I'm a husky 255 and 5"11...

Do you think doing this consistently with good eating habits can bring out the lean?
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

btownshreds is offline Senior Member
    Anyone?
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

neilyus is offline Junior Member
    It didn't for me. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 144 pounds. I didn't notice much difference to muscle definition and I never felt as though I had had an aerobic workout. What I did notice was my muscles were stronger after a number of weeks.

What you might find is, once you become leaner, you will find it easier. Diet alone should help you drop some the pounds. Doing exercises specifically to help your climbing will help bring out the lean I reckon. In my experience, best thing for climbing is doing gymnastic ring workouts. That will help get you lean.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    You still need to change your diet. But depending on the type of climbing, you can get a very intense workout. Bouldering is more about intense strength in short bursts, generally. Rope climbing is more about muscle endurance and technique, generally. You'll see more long and lean rope climbers and more short and ripped boulderers, but there's no set type for either way you climb. But climbers in general are, yes, lean and muscular. The lighter you are the easier it is to climb. For a female climber I'm heavier and taller than the norm, but I'm still a good climber. My abs, arms, and back are very defined because of climbing--surprised the above poster didn't notice much difference in their appearance. I've never met a climber who had that issue if they climbed regularly.

Anyways, climbing is a lot of fun and doesn't have to be so structured like other workouts. There are always new and interesting routes to climb. Make sure you eventually get outside and do the real stuff!

tsardoc is offline Junior Member
    I've never really cared about lean or husky when I started out with indoor climbing. I guess it didn't matter to my climbing. But it was tough when I tried climbing outdoors. Headed out with some friends who had some outdoor experience and thought it would come easily to me. But it didn't. Maybe we chose a difficult route for a beginner, but it was fun though. I've now decided to try outdoors climbing more often to gain some experience so that i can venture out with a partner or something. Joined this club that goes on regular climbing trips around Canmore- Rock Climbing Routes . So I'd recommend the same thing as Clymb says. Get out and do some outdoors climbing when you get the time and chance. It is way more fun to try and it will break the monotony of indoors climbing.