Thread: Low-carb opposition - vegens, Atkins & kidney function page

SFPT is offline Junior Member

Low-carb opposition - vegens, Atkins & kidney function

Shop Now
    Has anyone seen this "primal debunking " video?!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dIdUHuO...%3DdIdUHuO1Cd8

In my opinion it's a load of unsubstantiated anecdotal & incomplete observation, but I'd like to understand more about the differences between Atkins & Primal eating (particularly related to kidney function) - I'm confident that Primal eating is nutritionally balanced but would like to be able to provide a good counter-argument whenever people say to me "oh of course Atkins died of a heart attack & excessive meat-eating & low carbs causes kidney problems"

Anybody got a good response I can cite?

Thanks 😃

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with an eyeroll and walk away.

JudithT is offline Junior Member
    Try this page:
    Atkins Library. Although it doesn't say it here, apparently Dr A did weigh quite heavy at his death, supposedly due to the amount of fluids he was being given whilst in a coma.

The major difference for me is that the Atkins programme allows processed foods (Atkins meals, bars, shakes etc etc), which I feel sure Dr Atkins would be turning in his grave if he knew. However, I do know many people who start their low carb, weight loss, improved health journey with Atkins and naturally evolve to paleo/primal/whole foods lifestyle.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Atkins died of a head injury. Did not take long for the rumor to start that it was heart disease. His diet is pretty extensively studied and keeps coming out well. Paleo, on the other hand, is not closely defined; it is more like a family of eating plans with some commonalities. Some think there is such a thing as a "safe starch," some don't. Some eat dairy, some don't. Some do 50 gm of carbs, some do 150. Some eat beans, some don't.

If anyone cares to get the data (most people you talk to won't bother!) refer them to the A to Z diet paper from 2007 or so in which Atkins beat everyone for weight loss and blood lipids.

Doc Jim
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

SFPT is offline Junior Member
    That's gr8 - thanks for your help 😃

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    Atkins died of a head injury. Did not take long for the rumor to start that it was heart disease. His diet is pretty extensively studied and keeps coming out well. Paleo, on the other hand, is not closely defined; it is more like a family of eating plans with some commonalities. Some think there is such a thing as a "safe starch," some don't. Some eat dairy, some don't. Some do 50 gm of carbs, some do 150. Some eat beans, some don't.

If anyone cares to get the data (most people you talk to won't bother!) refer them to the A to Z diet paper from 2007 or so in which Atkins beat everyone for weight loss and blood lipids.

Doc Jim
    +1