Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take for you to get used to your Vibram 5 Fingers page

BeatMD is offline Member

How long did it take for you to get used to your Vibram 5 Fingers

Primal Fuel
    Im just curious how long did it take for you to get used to your Vibram 5 Fingers

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    About a second
    I never had a problem wearing them all day right away and thought they were awesome and comfortable right away.walking or hiking all day - no problems. I don't run so don't know about running in them. That's just my experience...

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    Took about a month wearing them walking/running/wearing them about town before I didn't feel soreness in my feet when I woke up. The exercises on the VFF site really helped. I did have to stretch the big toes out a bit to make them more comfortable. Now they are like a second skin.

BeatMD is offline Member
    Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    About a month as I recall. The skin gets thicker and you discover a whole host of muscles and tendons you were barely aware of before. Just take it easy when making the switch.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've never gotten used to how sweaty they make my feet and the weirdness of having so much fabric between my toes. As for the flatness, I went with exclusively flat shoes for all activities several years ago and I think it took maybe a year or so to not do silly things like crash my heels down too hard or resort to running when I'm just trying to walk fast. I am not a runner but I did try running now and then and the calf soreness was bad at first, but everything worked itself out in that year or so. In the end, I've found that I prefer a little bit of cushioning to facilitate walking fast and provide insulation against hot or cold ground.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

diene is offline Senior Member
    I never got used to how ugly they look.

But I got used to walking around in them right away. I bought them for running and felt fine running in them. I didn't even experience any calf soreness! But then I got plantar fasciitis and couldn't walk for 2-3 weeks! (Okay, that's an exaggeration--I could still walk, just with a limp.)

johnmjoy is offline Member
    For ordinary wear, around a month.

To become fully adjusted to them (i.e. so I can do everything I'd want to do, from walking around city streets for a day, to hiking, to running a 5K): 8-9 months.

If your feet were trapped in work boots like mine were for a quarter century, expect it to take a LONG, LONG time to fully adjust. (Now I wear almost nothing but.)

Iwami is offline Junior Member
    It didn't take long for me, mind you I only use them for walking. It did take me a while to get use to putting them on, I'd often end up with toes in the wrong spot or toes trying to share spots.

I seldom wore dress shoes or heels, and most of my shoes where flat sneakers like converse, ballet flats and sandals. I think that might have helped in the transition.

I walk almost everyday for at least an hour (thats my commute to work ) and I seem to be fine. Occasionally I will feel soreness in my leg muscles but it is a nice kind of work out sore

The one thing I am still trying to get use to but it is getting better are the stares. I mean they are pretty funny and odd looking shoes. :P

Sonoran hotdog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It took me about 18 months to acclimate to running in them (4 miles x 3-5 times/week). During that time I battled plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis and calf cramps. I would hobble into work every day. All of a sudden when I hit that 1.5 year point all the problems disappeared.
    I think many of the studies underestimate the transition time for runners.
    On the flip side I would never go back. The sheer joy of running almost barefoot was worth all the pain.
    YMMV - I began the transition when I was about 58 years old...
    When I go in for massage therapy the therapists find my calf muscles interesting - hard as rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast