Thread: Would someone mind checking my cholesterol numbers?

Would someone mind checking my cholesterol numbers?

Shop Now
    This morning I participated in a health screening that was being held by Viridian Health Management. I believe it is part of a CDC grant focused on health in the workplace. They will connect everyone who participates with a "health coach" and follow up in one year to gauge progress. Not exactly services I am interested in (particularly because everything was based on CW concepts of health/nutrition) -- but they were testing blood pressure and cholesterol so I figured I'd participate.

They told me that my total cholesterol was high -- which I took with a grain of salt having read the literature about cholesterol here on the site. So when I got back to my desk I looked up the ratio calculations and this is what I came up with. . .

Total Cholesterol: 256
    HDL: 73
    Triglycerides: 73
    LDL: 168

Total/HDL: 256/73 = 3.5
    Trig/HDL: 73/73 = 1
    LDL/HDL: 168/73 = 2.3

Would someone be willing to take a look and make sure I did this correctly? According to the calculations, everything looks fine. . .right?

You did it right and yes, your numbers are fine
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Awesome! Thanks so much.

ok, hijack time (sorry purple leather couch!)
    I'm a bit dim about what those percentages mean--here are mine: what do they tell you?

Total Cholesterol: 301
    Tri: 42
    HDL: 80
    LDL: 213

Total/HDL = 3.76
    Tri/HDL = .52
    LDL/HDL = .7

yeah, my dr is pushing statins...
    no, i have NO INTENTION of going on them.
    But do i need to worry?
    thanks--and thank you for letting me (!) hijack, PLC!

drjoyous, there's a link in my sig to a cholesterol primer.

Your ratios look fine as well.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Shop Now
    Thank you MagicMerl--I'll read your primer!