Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoes for underpronation page

picklepete is online now Senior Member

Shoes for underpronation

Shop Now
    A kinesiologist in my department offered a gait analysis and it turns out I've got severe underpronation meaning I basically walk on the outside edges of my feet. The wear pattern on my shoes (and my garden of ingrown calluses) seems to bear this out.

After snooping around there seem to be two ideas for this:
    • going barefoot/minimal will condition me to pronate more
    • it's permanent so use rollbar or stability shoes to avoid pelvic damage

Both options seem equally expensive (and equally hard to find in 12EEEE).
    Any experience or knowledge with this issue?
    Thanks!
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    If it were me, I'd transition to minimal or barefoot. In my opinion, using stability shoes will only cause your feet to become weaker, and probably bring up more foot/leg issues in the future. YMMV

If you decide to go minimal/barefoot, there is some good info here (whether or not you plan on running):

*** NEW BAREFOOT OR MINIMALIST RUNNERS START HERE *** | Runner's World Community

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    So the US Army has done testing on whether people with foot rolls (over or under) need any kind of specialized shoe by studying people in training who do or don't get offered specialized shoes. Their research came out with no reduction in injury with the specialized shoes. Specialized shoes never win in studies (that I know of).

That said, I am a huge believer based on my N=1. I spent almost two years on crutches and various other stupid medical interventions until I learned to get the right shoes. Before that I played high school sports and my mother always brought a cooler of ice to the events to put my feet in because it was the only way to keep me able to walk. If you are significantly disabled, get the specialized shoes already. For me it is a major issue in quality of life.

But if things are going okay, if you don't have pain or injury... Do what feels best for you.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I recommend:
    Xero sandals
    Luna sandals
    Lem's shoes
    New Balance Minimus
    Vibram 5-Fingers
    Merril whatever-gloves (trail gloves, vapor gloves, whatever their minimalist line is called)
    etc.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    I used to have one of the worst cases of over-pronation. I was in orthotics from the minute I woke up, to literally straight before bed. I never fixed anything. After some research I jumped straight into going barefoot 24/7. Now I've got strong feet and arches.

I know this is over, not under-pronation - but I think going minimal, if not barefoot, would be best.

T.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Don't wear shoes at home. There's a cheap intervention for you.

Blacksmith is online now Senior Member
    I tend to overpronate, though when barefoot I naturally correct myself and walk more normally. I'm looking into getting a pair of minimalist shoes I can wear to work. Although living in New England makes that tough in the winter.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Good leads to check out, thanks!

Come to think of it my legs feel more correct when I'm unshod at home. No injuries yet but I worry about the minor sores reducing my hiking enthusiasm. I'm wondering how much of this issue is caused by those $20 Payless shoes that can be wrung like a dish towel.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Pete, I ran across a very interesting article today that may shed some light:

Why Shoes Make "Normal" Gait Impossible

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to endure harsh winters and bloody feet just because you want minimal shoes. Simply opt for the simplest shoes you can find that will do the job and forget about any ideas that you must have huge lug soles to hike or that you need motion control to run or whatever.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast