Thread: Smoothie that will help GAIN weight? page

HeatherH is offline Member

Smoothie that will help GAIN weight?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all! I finally found a protein shake I like for my husband. He needs to gain weight. His whole family is naturally thin, even under-weight. His Dr. suggests at least 4,000 calories a day just to maintain his current weight.

I need help creating a smoothie for breakfast that is primal but really packs the calories. We would like it to be as low-carb as possible as we are exploring ketogenic type eating for a disease he has.

Any input would be awesome, thanks so much! It's hard to find smoothies promoting (primal) weight gain and not loss. Oh, and yes he does eat organic/grass fed dairy.
    Heather - 28yrs - Mom to 4 kiddos

SW - 188 - Aug 25th, 2011
    CW - 161 - Jan 26th, 2012 (5 months in)
    GW - 135ish

Blog - http://paleo4pcos.blogspot.com/

Add eggs to the smoothie, like doing the egg coffee; I turn mine into a smoothie or frappucino usually. Also, coconut milk in a smoothie ups the fat. A new thing I've been eating obsessively (ill get sick of it in a few days ) is 9% m.f. Greek yogurt (plain). It's insanely delicious and high in fat and protein. There are 10 carbs per serving, so its about my highest carb load, but only 2 are sugar. For the protein and fat, and that I know its a treat, I'm okay with that.

There are good no/low carb proteins out there. Unflavoured whey, Only Protein, and if you don't mind artificial sweeteners (secondary to stevia in the ingredient list) Promasil; then there's egg protein, and goat whey.

You can add avocados, some coconut butter, maybe a bit of nut paste as well?

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Anything that could use heavy cream and/or coconut milk as a base. Very calorie dense. + berries, protein powder, coconut oil, etc.

Could make your own ice cream using the above as well.

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    Have him drink a pint of Heavy Whipping Cream a day if he doesn't have an issue with dairy. Costco sells half gallon cartons of Horizon Organic that is pretty good. A pint is 1600+ calories, pure fat. Add anything you want to it to make a smoothie, and you have a massive weight gainer that is both economical and delicious.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Add some grated baking chocolate and cashew butter, top with a dollop of whipped heavy cream.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
    Hi all! I finally found a protein shake I like for my husband. He needs to gain weight. His whole family is naturally thin, even under-weight. His Dr. suggests at least 4,000 calories a day just to maintain his current weight.

I need help creating a smoothie for breakfast that is primal but really packs the calories. We would like it to be as low-carb as possible as we are exploring ketogenic type eating for a disease he has.

Any input would be awesome, thanks so much! It's hard to find smoothies promoting (primal) weight gain and not loss. Oh, and yes he does eat organic/grass fed dairy.
    Um, in that case... Assuming he's going full-keto, he actually won't need that much protein, particularly if he's "underweight". 1g per lb of lean body mass should suffice. So most of this smoothie will be fat.

I would suggest:
    -1/4 cup (52g) Coconut Oil ---- (470kcal)
    -Can (400ml) of Coconut Milk ---- (670kcal)
    -Three eggs, raw --- (231kcal)
    -100g Macadamia nuts, raw --- (718kcal)

Nutrition info:
    • Protein: 39g
    • Fat: 214g
    • Saturated: 73g
    • Carbs: 24g
    • Fiber: 19g
    • Sugar: 5g
      TOTAL CALORIES: 2089

And this is only if he really likes coconut. But should get half his daily intake out of the way.

I do hope he's lifting heavy weights during the process of this wight gain, however. Also... does it have to be a smoothie? Could it be ice cream or anything else? He might enjoy eating a bowl of high-calorie, keto-friendly ice cream rather than chugging down a smoothie.

Just my two cents.

Thank you! He refuses to give up dairy and loves it, but I think he is sensitive to it. He always has a runny nose. He finally is listening to everything I say/show him but is adamant about keeping the dairy... for now.

He doesn't like coconut much so I am hoping I can cover the taste a bit.

I'm thinking smoothie as breakfast because it is quick to make and he can take it with him to class. He loves eggs and bacon but not first thing in the a.m.

Your suggestions are very helpful, thanks!

GW - 135ish

Also, I just moved to So Cal, what stores around here sell coconut butter/manna?

GW - 135ish

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
    Also, I just moved to So Cal, what stores around here sell coconut butter/manna?
    Every food co-op in my area carries this stuff.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list