Thread: Carbs and Joint Pain page

mkp6652 is offline Junior Member

Carbs and Joint Pain

Primal Fuel
    I've been increasing my lifting volumes as of late and have not been faithful to my Primal Blueprint. My joints have really started to ache. My carb count has been bad for 2 straight days and have not taken my fish oil in a few days.

I'm sure it's the combination of all three that is causing this stiffness/discomfort. I do, however believe the high carb count is the biggest problem with my joint inflammation. Has anyone noticed flareups when going off the PB and carb loading?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I have severe arthritis, and I eat low carb to minimize joint pain. If you increase carbs, you retain water, and that's what causes the pain for me. Anytime I have a high carb meal (rarely), I will wake up with joint pain the next morning.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    for me, it's grain in general that causes inflammation rather than higher carb in general.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I definately notice if I slip up, the next day I have all over joint and muscle pain. I feel like an old lady hobbling around my house.

mkp6652 is offline Junior Member

Improvement

thanks for all the comments. It's always good to know I am not the only one who has experienced this reaction.

Cillikat, I did have quite a bit of rice, both brown and white on my carbohydrate binge so that may have been the main culprit. I do go though phases where I want to eat with no restrictions and my body is rather abrupt in sending me reminders to do what I know is best for me. There is no free lunch, I guess.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKLIN View Post
    Low carb dieters are often interested in easing joint pain. Sometimes joint pain is caused by a buildup of uric acid crystals.The foods that can cause this buildup are sardines, anchovies, liver, kidneys and beer. You can see why the English tended to have a problem.Beans and peas can also cause problems. Being overweight in general also makes this worse.

On the other hand, while some claim that apple cider vinegar helps with acid crystals because it provides potassium, it only provides 11mg per tablespoon. Since the USRDA is 3g for women and 6g for men, you'd have to take at least 300 tablespoons each day for this to have an affect. It's better to take your vitamins.
    Unfortunately, vitamins won't be helpful either as by law, capsules and tablets can contain no more than 99mg potassium. More on that if anyone is interested.

It's the grains, mkp7752 rather than the carbs speciifcally. The same thing will not happen if you get your carbs from produce.

Quote Originally Posted by mkp6652 View Post
    thanks for all the comments. It's always good to know I am not the only one who has experienced this reaction.

Cillikat, I did have quite a bit of rice, both brown and white on my carbohydrate binge so that may have been the main culprit. I do go though phases where I want to eat with no restrictions and my body is rather abrupt in sending me reminders to do what I know is best for me. There is no free lunch, I guess.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been lowcarbing for 6 years and It never fails that I get joint pain if I have a cheat. When I cheat it is usually something like potatoes or bread. Sometimes something sugary. They all give equal pain. Not to mention the yucky bloaty general icky feeling. I don't know how I managed before low carb.