Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Actually Follow Mark's Blueprint? page

Wieters is offline Junior Member

Does Anyone Actually Follow Mark's Blueprint?

Shop Now
    Hello all, first time poster here, thanks for any help in advance.

Quick background: I must admit that I'm not paleo, but rather a raw vegan. While I do not subscribe to the primal diet, I was attracted to Mark's workout regimen as outlined in the Primal Fitness Blueprint. Years ago, I was a competitive runner, but I am a total newbie to any sort of muscular training and so I was drawn to its emphasis on functional fitness.

As of a few weeks back, I began performing the 2x per week routine of squats/push-ups/planks/pulldowns as specifically outlined in the Blueprint. I am also incorporating sprints and low-intensity cardio as is recommended. The novelty of strength training results in a much more enjoyable and rewarding experience than the steady-state cardio that I had been accustomed to in my running days.

To the point, then, I am committed to increasing my strength and/or muscular endurance (don't fully understand the difference yet). It follows that I'll need a regimen for the long-term. I was satisfied by both the idea of the Primal Fitness Blueprint, with its emphasis on bodyweight exercises and incremental gains, and its actual application. Upon visiting this very forum, though, I am having trouble finding any discussions as to the actual Blueprint; everyone seems to be on their own routines.

Have you all graduated from the program?

In sum, I'm trying to figure out a routine to implement. Mark's Primal Fitness Blueprint is ideal for me in that it emphasizes bodyweight to begin with, and is clearly structured and organized. I am put-off by the fact that no one here seems to adhere to the regimen, though. I don't want to squander the window of initial gains - should I look elsewhere?

Thanks again.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Fitness is fine for overall fitness/health. Some of us here care a lot about getting as strong as possible within certain constraints, for which it's probably not optimal. If you're doing nothing now, stop letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you have access to the PBF Materials, start tomorrow. Tomorrow. No excuses. Go.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I followed it pretty closely for a year, made some good gains. Then Convict Conditioning for about six months. Additional gains. Then under a barbell following Starting Strength. All of this was my first foray into strength after years of running. All have helped strength and body comp. The switching around was more to stage off boredom and try new approaches. Of all of them, I found getting under the bar to bring the fastest gains.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I follow it completely.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I follow its principles if not the actual detailed program. He says to move often at a slow pace, lift heavy things, and sprint now and then. So I take walks or hike most days, lift weights 2 or 3 times a week, and sprint 1 or 2 times a week. I have found it's enough to keep me in shape for super strenuous backpack trips. 20 miles in one day is not a problem.

Opposite most people, I thought lifting weights would be easier to start with than doing bodyweight exercises. I really couldn't do most of the basic bodyweight exercises. I started with a class that had us doing them but I felt so uncoordinated and even after almost a year of the class I felt I had made little progress. So I switched to barbells. It seemed simpler (load barbell, do lift, load more plates, do more lifts = less complicated than turn your body into a pretzel and hold it in mid air somehow) and I saw dramatic progress quickly so it was kind of addictive. From lifting weights I can do 10 or more real pushups in multiple sets (with rest in between) without having tried to program pushups.

I may switch all my upper body work from weights to pushups, pullups and dips. Unfortunately there is nothing to replace squats or deadlifts with barbells. I will keep squatting. I don't know about deadlifting. Too dangerous for uncoordinated idiots like me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Lots of slow moving, lift heavy things, and sprint. I follow that, in my own way.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sort of. But less plant, more animal, higher fat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I follow its principles if not the actual detailed program. He says to move often at a slow pace, lift heavy things, and sprint now and then. So I take walks or hike most days, lift weights 2 or 3 times a week, and sprint 1 or 2 times a week. I have found it's enough to keep me in shape for super strenuous backpack trips. 20 miles in one day is not a problem.
    This. The general guidelines will work fine for just about everybody that wants to be physically fit. It's up to the individual to decide the specifics (what kind of lifting exercises, how much to walk, etc).
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The fitness I follow pretty closely. Yes.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Wieters is offline Junior Member
    Many thanks for all the feedback. I can appreciate the desire to push beyond the boundaries that the Blueprint allows for. Further, I can see how many of you feel like you adhere to its spirit if not its letter.

Put plainly, though, I am wondering whether I would be best served to follow the Blueprint's specific regimen.

I like the idea of bodyweight exercises as an introduction to muscular training, but I fear that I will look back and consider this time as wasted for not having performed a more targeted program. I suppose that I have an idea of bodybuilding as involving deadlifts, bench presses, etc., and Mark's program does not call for that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast