Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Actually Follow Mark's Blueprint? page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Wieters View Post
    Many thanks for all the feedback. I can appreciate the desire to push beyond the boundaries that the Blueprint allows for. Further, I can see how many of you feel like you adhere to its spirit if not its letter.

Put plainly, though, I am wondering whether I would be best served to follow the Blueprint's specific regimen.

I like the idea of bodyweight exercises as an introduction to muscular training, but I fear that I will look back and consider this time as wasted for not having performed a more targeted program. I suppose that I have an idea of bodybuilding as involving deadlifts, bench presses, etc., and Mark's program does not call for that.
    Primal Blueprint Fitness is just one option for adhering to the Primal Blueprint Laws that relate to physical activity (Namely, Lift Heavy Things, Move Frequently at a Slow Pace, and Sprint once in a while). It was published after many or most of us started following the Primal Blueprint principles, and many of us are already at fitness levels sort of beyond what PB Fitness is aimed at.

It's definitely not a bodybuilding program. And it's not meant to be. It's meant to make you healthy and to help you look good naked. It's adequate for that. It's not really a strength program either. But for a sedentary population looking to increase their longevity with a minimum of time commitment, it's fine.

If you're interested in truly getting strong, do a barbell program. If you're interested in getting massive, do a barbell program, then figure out what bodybuilding protocol suits you once you're moderately strong. If you just want to live long and gain a modicum of muscle mass while losing extraneous adipose tissue, PB Fitness is easy, free to download (at least it was at one point) and adequate.

It's kind of like Mark's supplements. He provides them, but he doesn't push them as necessary. This isn't T-Nation. You can figure out how to LHT, sprint, and move frequently at a slow pace all on your own and be 100% in compliance with the Primal Blueprint Laws. You seem to have this confused. Hope I've helped clear it up.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I did for a few months, its a great foundational program especially when you are eating fairly low carb, the main thing I got from his philosophy wast lift heavy a couple times a week, back off the long distance running, do sprints and don't over train (ie get adequate recovery). Its a program designed for lifetime fitness not sport specific training or body building. It got me fired up about weight training again for the first time in years and laid the foundation for what I do now which is more intense than he recommends.

GroketteInND is offline Junior Member
    I'm fifty and was in no shape whatsoever. Started using the PB in mid-June and loved it. I've had to modify some in the last couple of weeks, since I have a chronic achilles tendonitis that cropped up from sprinting (and wow, how I loved the sprinting!) so I'm waiting until next spring probably to add that back in (am trying to supplement with cycling sprints but I need a better bike too).

Heat wave the last part of August put all but my walking/biking on hold for a bit -- hot muggy weather makes me want to do nothing at all, which is why I live in North Dakota now! But I'd made significant progress on LHT, to the point of doing several actual knee/hand pushups when holy crap, I could barely do five wall versions to start! All very new and very invigorating.

I may start weights when winter sets in, since I'm not exactly sure how my walking is going to work when it's -40F out.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    It won't be a waste of time. If anything, it will allow you to assess your current strength and set goals (such as getting the the highest level in each area). All programs are like that. Coming from a strictly running background, body-weight exercises are great to build strength and, as I said, assess what your strength is. Then, take it from there.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I say start doing it, and modify as needed to suit your goals and abilities.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

PrimalRFG is offline Member
    sums up my thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I did for a few months, its a great foundational program especially when you are eating fairly low carb, the main thing I got from his philosophy wast lift heavy a couple times a week, back off the long distance running, do sprints and don't over train (ie get adequate recovery). Its a program designed for lifetime fitness not sport specific training or body building. It got me fired up about weight training again for the first time in years and laid the foundation for what I do now which is more intense than he recommends.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    It won't be a waste of time. If anything, it will allow you to assess your current strength and set goals (such as getting the the highest level in each area). All programs are like that. Coming from a strictly running background, body-weight exercises are great to build strength and, as I said, assess what your strength is. Then, take it from there.
    Yes, what he said. body weight exercises are great for seeing where you are physically and also getting in tune with what your body can do. I lift weights but still do Pilates and other body weight exercises - I feel like I'm super focused on my entire body doing that sort of exercise versus focusing on lifting a bar or other weights.

Jiggyz is offline Junior Member
    I follow the PBF almost exclusively, at least for the 13 months I have been Primal-at least the the 4 basic exercises.

I have said this before in other posts, but there is more to that regimen than meets the eye, if you do the reps properly with good form and with the right rest interval.

Keep in mind that Mark's program is intended as a hack-sort of-and he contends that those exercises up to the basic primal movements, will allow you to experience 90% of you genetic potential with minimal time spent assuming proper diet and the other fitness components.

It takes me about 30min total to work through them(2 sets) with warm up and cool down from the comfort of my own backyard using nothing more than my children's jungle gym.

I too was a serious runner for many years, but during that time I was running I also had a very similar strength workout which allowed me to stay injury free for literally years on end.

As others have said, you may want more, get bored, etc. but with the almost infinite scalability of Mark's program, it could work for years on end without the added risk of injury from heavier weights, awkward or technique specific excercises

Drmike is offline Member
    I have been wondering the same thing for a while. The only way to find out is to try it for a few months. I have done You are your own gym for a year and it's great but now that fall is coming I want to take it outside. I'm going to follow Marks program for 2-3 months and see what happens. My starting stats are 35 pushups. 10 pull ups. 10 dive bomber pushups 30 squats and 60 seconds planks on knees. I'll keep you posted on my progress

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On Wednesday I did 50 pushups (in sets of 10), 5 singles of jumping pullups (jump up, pull up the rest of the way, do a negative on the way down), and 3 sets of 10 dips on a low step. For the last 2 days I have barely been able to move. Every muscle I have from my hipbones up to my collarbone hurts: back, front, abs, arms, shoulders, everything. Holy hell this bodyweight stuff is way more strenuous than I thought.

I am thinking I might just quit the barbell upper body crap I've been doing and do pushups, pullups and dips instead.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast