Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picky Children! page

PGelanaO is offline Junior Member

Picky Children!

Shop Now
    Hey, my name is Paige and I'm a mother. My son is 4 years old and he's the pickiest eater I've ever known. He won't eat any vegetables and he's really picky when it comes to meats. Basically all I can get him to eat is corndogs and pizza most of the time (he will eat my meat balls though). What can I do to get him to eat other things? I would love to get some new "kid friendly" primal recipes.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    When he's hungry, he'll eat what you offer him. Sounds harsh, but kids who grow up hungry don't grow up picky.

PGelanaO is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I've been there myself, growing up we didn't always have a lot of food. I do that with him sometimes, but then I kinda feel bad cuz he'll come to me later saying he's hungry and I'll tell him to eat what I gave him earlier and he just won't.....makes me wonder if maybe he's just bored.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    When my nephews were 4yo I'd witness these epic power struggles at the table--my sister is a great cook and would try every reward and threat to get them to eat but since they had free access to a pantry of chips and candy 24/7 they would just stonewall. Meal customs are very important and food companies have done everything they can to wreck them.

Dinner will become more attractive when it's all there is. The key for vegetables is the correct fat-- dip in seasoned sour cream, sauté with bacon, steam and top with grated cheese, etc.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    Maybe try paleoparents.com? Might be a good resource

Goal: Feel good, be active!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    When he's hungry, he'll eat what you offer him. Sounds harsh, but kids who grow up hungry don't grow up picky.
    Yup.

We have a food philosophy of '20 yucks to 1 yum', which is about how long it takes a kid to get accustomed to a new food. We serve them up everything that we eat, and every single time they have to *try* it. So for example, all of my kids have announced that they don't like mushrooms, so whenever we serve mushrooms, they each have to eat one, then they can put all the rest of them from their plate onto our plates.

It can be a bit how you 'brand' them as well. My mother rebranded broccoli as 'green trees', which our kids all love now.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-04-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Exactly right. I have raised 4 kids and they will eat what you give them. If you give them the option of pizza, they will eat that. They also learn how to manipulate at a very young age. If you eliminate all the foods you don't want them to eat from the house and explain that they are gone for good, and then have other options, which are seasoned good, they will eat those.

Don't worry...they won't starve. They may pitch a huge fit, but they won't starve. Be strong. Don't give in.

What you teach them at 4 will carry into their teens. It's worth a fit from a 4 year old, rather than waiting until they are teens and the fight you will get at that point. By then, a lot of the time it is too late. At least until they are adults and are thinking straight again....lol

Good luck!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    My son hates sweets. He will spit out fruits.

We spent a lot of time to get him eat bananas. We went on a vacation once and all we kept around him during meal/snack time was fruits and he settled on banana as the least evil. Now he east one a day.

He was addicted to milk. One day we just stopped it. He protested for nearly a week with minimal eating. It was a Cuban crisis style stand off. We saw him lose weight and not eat. We stuck to our guns. In the end biology won.

In a way it is ridiculous: millions of kids world over would be deligted to get their hands on a banana and here we are!
    Few but ripe.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Cover/puree the vegetables with lots of salted grass fed butter. Kids know healthy fats and will eat them. He would probably eat the butter straight, I know I would, and do. Hunger is also a powerful motivator.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    What would he be eating now if pizza and corndogs had never been served in your household? Just serve that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast