Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: digestive issues & bloating my whole life, even with primal page

daniellad is offline Junior Member

digestive issues & bloating my whole life, even with primal

Primal Fuel
    hi there,
    I just need some advice if possible.
    I've had bloating since I was a kid and in my teens developed clicking and achy joints.
    Recently I've had more serious digestive issues the doctor has ruled it as IBS. ive been tested for gluten intolerance and yesterday I got back an extensive blood test which shows I have a medium intolerance to eggs and cashew nuts as well as whey and vanilla. both of these food items I have only eaten in any quantity since going primal.
    I now have to cut them out to heal my gut and reduce inflammation.
    My issue is this - im fairly certain that these foods are not causing the irritation since ive been having bloating since I was around 7.
    I thought a diagnosis would help but has only made me more frustrated and confused since an allergy I could fix by avoiding the food and eliminating symptoms.

Anyone else here have a pregnant belly they can't get rid of? I honestly look 6 months pregnant most days despite not eating grains for months.
    I'm taking zinc, magnesium, vitamin d ( I live in NZ) omega 3's and pro-biotics....
    Any ideas/advice would be very welcome. im losing my mind at the thought of cutting out eggs for a while!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Check out SCDLifestyle.com. It is in line with primal/paleo eating, but is styled as an elimination diet, starting with a chicken soup.

What other digestive symptoms do you have aside from the bloat?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Well, from the other thread started by otzi regarding fibers, I just discovered the concept of FODMAP. Maybe that's your problem ?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daniellad View Post
    Any ideas/advice would be very welcome. im losing my mind at the thought of cutting out eggs for a while!
    About the only thing I've seen in instances like you describe is a thorough elimination diet. Others may know better how to do it, but I think you just eat very plain foods, like chicken and rice for a couple weeks to see if it clears the problem. Once it's better, then you add back foods very slowly. This can take months to complete, but probably well worth it since you have the rest of your life ahead of you.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hi Daniella. I'm in NZ too - nice to meet you! I could have posted this a few months ago. I've been primal for over two years and couldn't get traction with my gut issues until very recently when I actually found an integrated medical practioner.

I have problems with lots of the grains and grain-like foods including oats, corn and even buckwheat - and with all that pain going on, everything I ate seemed to make it worse. I ended up on a hugely restricted diet that stressed me out and still didn't work. The only thing that makes me feel good is a very low carb diet. Things like rice and potatoes don't cause me pain, but my bloating is extreme. Thyroid and adrenal problems have meant that vlc wasn't sustainable for any length of time, but maybe you would feel better eating that way?

One of the first things the doctor did was to get me on a strong digestive enzyme to improve my processing of foods.

What area do you live in? There might be someone who can help.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    -Your supplements, including the probiotics, may have things in them that are causing the problem, so I would test elimating them too. Go totally off and add them in the same as you add back other foods to an elimination diet.

-Ginger, I shall sing the praises of ginger. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but it has been near miraculous for me. It works by altering how your gut interacts with serotonin. Low-dose SSRIs (like Prozac or Paxil) also work for some people (it was the miracle cure for one of my friends) for the same reason, though they have a totally different effect from ginger so if one makes you worse the other might make you better.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

hi, nice to meet you too!

yeah I've eliminated almost all starchy veges and only have kumara or pumpkin once a week. I've been taking a pro-biotic and apple cider vinegar for about 2 months but it hasn't reduced the bad bacteria so far. its very stressful trying to cut out everything and also very easy to give into temptation!
    i'll follow the natropath's recommendations for a month and if it doesn't improve ill have to take action.
    I'm in Auckland at the moment

Thanks for that! i'll try the ginger and see how I go, ive heard some great things about it too

I think its probably the best path to take. im eating salads and veges and meat for the next 2 months or so, very strict paleo with no carbs or sugars of any kind. also dropped my morning coffee to see if it will help....I really need an afternoon nap though!

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like long term SIBO infection, with leaky gut and gallbladder issues.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, its all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast