Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Get More Omega 3? page

Breezy111 is offline Member

How Do You Get More Omega 3?

Primal Fuel
    I've only tracked my food sporadically but my omega 6:3 ratio is RIDICulous.

How does everyone get more omega 3 in their diet?

I hear people talking about sardines... I've never tried them. I'm open to trying new things but I'm kinda squeamish at the thought of eating canned mini fish lol. Are their heads attached!? Lol

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    You don't. Lay off the o6 and o3
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Here's some info, though it's not a primal/paleo site: omega-3 fatty acids

Grass fed beef and salmon are on the list, so if you're squeamish about canned fish that look like bait , you can eat other things.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    You should be reducing your o6 intake by not eating grains, vegetable oils, etc. choosing Pastured eggs (so they eat more bugs and grass vs grain feed), pastured pork and grass fed beef/lamb (if you can afford it).

Eating a couple of hundred grams of cold water fishs such as salmon (preferably wild caught), mackerel, blue cod or sardines, once or twice a week should give enough o3.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry about it. I eat salmon often. I eat primal as best I can. But I think worrying too much about the little nutritionism details is not productive.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't worry about it. I eat salmon often. I eat primal as best I can. But I think worrying too much about the little nutritionism details is not productive.
    Well, yeah sure, worrying too much about one's health is not good for one's health. When I was in Calif & Hawaii last fall & winter, eating lots & lots of fresh wild salmon & fresh ahi every week, I was getting plenty of O3. Now back east since January, I've been supplementing with 2 cod liver oil capsules a day, eating many O3 eggs & yes as much grass fed beef, & wild salmon (frozen) as I can afford. Canned tuna packed in water is cheap. I eat mackeral & sardines too. When I eat foods containing O3 in any given day, I generally skip the cod liver capsules.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    Dont worry too much however everyone is right. Grass fed everything meat wise, pastuered eggs will help.

Otherwise I take mega doses of fish oil daily.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    also check asian markets or the freezer section of your regular grocer. you may find small, wild fish for pretty cheap. some can be strong-flavored, so you'll have to play around with mustard, hot sauce, broth, etc. to see what you like.

my basics are fresh/frozen smelts or whiting + tinned sardines or wild salmon.

we're eating lots of lobster this summer too cuz t's dirt cheap again.

why is your 0:6 so off the charts? are you still eating grains and junk oil?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Here's some info, though it's not a primal/paleo site: omega-3 fatty acids

Grass fed beef and salmon are on the list, so if you're squeamish about canned fish that look like bait , you can eat other things.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    You should be reducing your o6 intake by not eating grains, vegetable oils, etc. choosing Pastured eggs (so they eat more bugs and grass vs grain feed), pastured pork and grass fed beef/lamb (if you can afford it).

Eating a couple of hundred grams of cold water fishs such as salmon (preferably wild caught), mackerel, blue cod or sardines, once or twice a week should give enough o3.
    I'm grain free and the only time I consume bad oils is when I eat out and can't avoid it. Grass fed beef isn't easy for me to get and I get sick of fish sometimes. I had salmon yesterday and I'm over it already lol.

Today my ratio was about 11:1, better than a couple weeks ago when it was 26:1.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast